Monday, July 5, 2010

My P90X History

This will be a blog for myself, documenting my P90X experience. I'm currently in the midst of my 6th Round, mixing in the Classic Program with the P90x+ series.

For the few years prior to starting P90X, I had been doing some arm work with light weights (15 lbs), and some stationary bike work. In early May 2008, I had to go in for a checkup because we were switching health plans at work, and I hadn't seen a doctor in years. He told me I was borderline obese. I kind of laughed it off because I'd never been heavy in my life, and certainly didn't consider myself anywhere near obese. I felt pretty good, and even though I was developing a bit of a gut, I thought I looked OK. A few nights after seeing the doctor I saw Tony on QVC talking about P90X. I had seen the infomercials plenty of times, and though I was intrigued, I thought they'd be too hard for someone my age. However, on this night I was still angry about being called obese by a doctor, and I ordered the program from QVC. I remember getting the DVDs, reading through the Nutrition Guide, and being a bit anxious and almost depressed the weekend before I started because I knew my life was going to change, and it didn't look like it was going to be easy.

I originally started May 12, 2008. I was 50 years old. I weighed 214 lbs, and was only able to do about 30 pushups during that entire first Chest and Back workout. I didn't have a pullup bar, so I used the maroon resistance bands the best I could. I sat on the floor, looped them aroud the end of my feet, and pulled back. On the second exercise, they slipped off my feet and snapped into my face, leaving me a bit dazed. Not a good start. The second day was Plyometrics. It took me over 90 minutes to do the 57 minute workout. I sat through a few of the exercises because I was so exhausted. In the past two years of doing P90X, those were the only two exercises I skipped. I'm proud of that. I almost quit after the first two days, thinking I was in way over my head. However, I gave Shoulders and Arms a try on the next day, using the resistance bands, and I got through it OK, so I continued with the program. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I tried sticking to the nutrition plan for the first month or so, but it was making me miserable, so I ditched it and just started eating better in general. I ended the first 90 days at 188 lbs. I wasn't as ripped as the guys on the TV commercial, but I looked and felt better than I had since I was in my 20's.

There have been some high points for me the last two years. I call them "little victories", and they're one of the things that keeps me going. Aside from the weight goals, it's been things like doing a shoulder stand for the first time (last week of my first round), getting through Core Synergistics, and then Plyometrics, without hitting the Pause button, seeing the constant increase in my pushups (257) in Chest & Back, and hearing "you look amazing" for the first time from someone that hadn't seen me in a while.

I still have yet to do "Wheel" from Yoga (not sure that's ever going to happen), or an "Airborne Pushup" from Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps (that will happen).

The only bump in the road was that I broke one of my toes doing Leapfrog Squats during Plyometrics last year. I lept forward, heard a crack, and wondered if it was the carpet or my toe that made the noise? Seeing my toe puff up and turn black provided the quick answer. What did I do? I finished the workout of course.

So, it's been over two years since I first started. Why do I continue to do this? First of all, even though I know he was right and just doing his job, I still hold a grudge towards that doctor. I want to see him one day and say "Remember me? You called me fat. Look at me now!" That still drives me. Aside from that, the "little victories" I mentioned above, and the obvious health benefits, P90X grounds me. No matter how bad things get or how stressed out I get from things that are out of my control, it's one postitive thing I can do for myself every day that is in my control, and that's an empowering feeling.

During this Round, which started on Memorial Day 2010, and will end on August 28th (my 53rd birthday) I'm trying to stick to the Phase Two Nutrition Plan. I started the round at 177 lbs, where I've plateaued for the last year and a half, but I'm not so concerned about the weight. I really want to see if I can get my abs to "pop"at age 53. I realize I'm going to have to reduce my body fat % for that to happen. I'm five weeks into the plan. It's not easy, and I've cheated a bit here and there, but I'm trying. I just purchased myself a set of Powerblock adjustable weights (got them at the beginning of Week 5 on this round), and will be upping the weight on many of the exercises. I've leaned out pretty well, so I might try becoming an "8 to 10" person instead of a "12 to 15" person.

I'll be posting periodically, not because anybody else will be reading this, but for myself to look back and see where I was and what I was feeling at the time.

2 comments:

Skissy said...

Love it!
The "wheel" is impossible... did you see my try at it in my yoga video?! Haha, i don't even try anymore.
Keep it up!!! :o)

maninthebuff said...

Yeah, I saw it. I guess we're just not going to look like Audra. Your videos make me laugh because I can relate to them. Not too many people have the guts to show themselves falling all over the place. Your "refusal" to do the Chaturanga Run in your Core Synergistics video was priceless. Thanks for the support!!