Monday, July 21, 2014

P90X - ROUND 10 - WEEK 13 - Week of 07/21/2014

MONDAY - JULY 21, 2014 - Fountain of Youth (Yoga) (One on One with Tony Horton)

A good yoga workout. This one gets through to the basics without all the repetitiveness on the vinyasas in the original Yoga X. There are some stretching moves in this one (about the last 16 minutes), but I'll admit I like the second half of Yoga X better. I've been switching up the yoga workouts this round for variety, and the time involved.

Time: 47 minutes; Calories Burned: 271; Avg Heart Rate: 96; Max Heart Rate: 120.


TUESDAY - JULY 22, 2014 - Core Synergistics

I got through this with little problem, but I was sweating like crazy when I was done. I have a lot of Tony's workouts and I love his sense of humor, however, this is the one workout where he gets annoying. It seems like he's constantly busting on the cast, especially Adam. "Come on, we're here to workout". "We've got a whole bunch of boxes we have to move". "Mini break. Break's over" (with no real break). Listening to that while I'm busting my ass on moves I absolutely hate, makes this my least enjoyable workout.

Time: 57 minutes; Calories Burned: 540; Avg Heart Rate: 118; Max Heart Rate: 153,


WEDNESDAY - JULY 23, 2014 - Cardio X

Cardio X. The "easy" workout that always leaves me sweating like crazy at the end. I almost feel embarrassed that I am so drained at the end, but I am.

Time: 43 minutes; Calories Burned: 329; Avg Heart Rate: 107; Max Heart Rate: 142.


THURSDAY - JULY 24, 2014 - X Stretch

I like X Stretch. Aside from the physical break, it's also a mental break, knowing you're going to get a day off from beating the hell out of your body. My body is sore, especially my shoulders for some reason. I'm thinking it's from Core Synergistics on Tuesday. One thing I did today was I faced the TV when doing most of the moves. I'm usually sideways to it. It's not much of a change, but it did make the workout feel a bit different, and there were things I saw on the video I'd never seen before, because I was at a different angle. As far as the workout went,  I wasn't too flexible on Camel or Back Hero, but otherwise did OK.

Time: 57 minutes; Calories Burned: 222; Avg Heart Rate: 88; Max Heart Rate: 114.


FRIDAY - JULY 25, 2014 - Core Synergistics

I was dreading this one all day long. Once I got home I didn't spend too much time relaxing because then I'd be thinking about it even more, so I just got it done and over with. It went OK. I still don't get up in Bow because I don't push myself to do it. On the other hand, I did do a few more reps than usual on some of the exercises. I even got in 12 Dreya Rolls. There is a sequence of about 4 moves that just kill me: Lunge and Reach (followed by a small break), then Prison Cell Pushups, Side Hip Raises, then the Squat X Presses. Then after those 4 comes the Plank to Chaturanga Runs. Lately, I've been having a hard time with the Chauranga's because I'm just gassed at that point. I did notice my heart rate was in the 150's a lot, so I was workin'.. I'm just glad it's over with.

Tme: 57 minutes; Calories Burned: 595; Avg Heart Rate: 125; Max Heart Rate: 159.


SATURDAY - JULY 26, 2014 - Yoga X

This finishes up my 10th Round of P90X, and it wasn't my best workout. I'd been switching out Yoga X a number of times this round with some shorter yoga workouts from Tony's One on One series. I hadn't done Yoga X since Week 10. I wasn't really looking forward to the 92 minutes, but definitely wanted to finish the round with Yoga X, just as I have the previous 9 rounds. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I felt really good this morning and was going to start it about 8:30 this morning. The morning air was cool. However, I got doing other things. I finally started about 4:15. It felt a bit muggier when I started and I was dripping sweat early on. That continued for the entire first half of the workout, the vinyasa section. I was horrible during that half. I came out of a lot of the moves early because I simply couldn't hold them, The second half went much better. Not a great way to finish the Round, but it is what it is. All my workouts aren't golden.

Time: 92 minutes: Calories Burned: 749; Avg Heart Rate: 110; Max Heart Rate: 141.


SUNDAY - JULY 27, 2014 - Rest


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 195.6 (-1.0 lbs)
Body Fat: 21.7% (-0.1%)

Didn't eat real well this week, but not too bad either, so I guess this makes sense. Losing 1 lb a week would be good.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

It was the last week of the round and I was in the mindset of just wanting to get it over with. I don't like Core Synergistics at all, so having to look forward to doing that twice was a bit of a downer. I'm a bit happy with the weight loss.


THOUGHTS FOR THE ROUND

I had just come off about 6 months of 25 or 30 minute workouts with the Focus T25 and P90X3 programs, so I was a bit concerned about how I'd feel about going back to 60 minute workouts. It turns out it wasn't an issue. I like the original P90X workouts much better than the others, so it wasn't so much how long I was doing things as it was what I was doing. Early on in the Round I was really motivated. My goal was to lose 20 lbs for the Round, and I started out OK, but then the old habits started kicking in, and I lost my motivation and drive. The third phase was becoming a grind, and I just wanted to get things over with. It wasn't the workouts. I still love them. It was just my mindset. I did end up losing 4.4 lbs during the round and 0.9% body fat, but I was at those numbers in Week 4. At one point I was down 6.8 lbs (after week 9), but as I said, the old habits started creeping in, causing loss of focus and motivation, and I went backwards. On the positive side, I was doing more pushups than I ever had, and I was lifting more weight than I ever had, which was one of my goals. Overall, I'm glad I did it, if only to realize that longer workouts are still OK, as long as I like them. I reaffirmed the fact that this is my "Soul-Mate" workout program. I'll always come back to it, and if I ever decide to commit to the nutrition part, my results will be great.


WHAT'S NEXT?

The plan is to take a week (or two) off to give my mind a break. My body seems to be OK. Then I think I'm going to do a round of P90X2. I haven't done that in over 2 years, and I had great results with it.




No comments: