Monday, March 11, 2013

WEEK OF 3/11/2013

This week, and probably next week too, I'm going to concentrate on some workouts I haven't done yet. I ordered a few of Tony Horton's One on One's while I was doing Asylum 2, and I just ordered a few new short Insanity workouts (Sanity Check and Fast and Furious Abs). I also still haven't done Insanity's Upper Body Weight Training.

Going into Monday, I kept trying to tell myself my body needed a break, because I haven't had a day off since last October, but I knew the real reason was because I was afraid of the first workout. I've been on a roll lately with my workouts, so I wanted to keep the momentum going, and convinced myself to go for it.


MONDAY - MARCH 11, 2013 - 30-15 Upper Body Massacre (One on One)

This is all pushups and pullups. You do 12 sets of pushups (six different kinds, two times each), and 12 sets of pushups (six different kinds, two times each), and you alternate pushup move, then pullup move. The premise is you do 30 pushups in each set, then 15 pullups. At least those are Tony's goals going in. You're supposed to set your own goal numbers, then stick with them. Since pushups and pullups are my weakness (P90X Chest and Back kills me every time), and this was the first time I was doing this routine, I chose to do 20 pushups and 5 pullups, and I was able to do those numbers for each set. Tony was taking all kinds of breaks (he was doing more than I was and was getting real tired), and I didn't want to be sitting around, so I started getting ahead of what he was doing because I'd written down the moves ahead of time. I had completed the fifth series while he was still on the fourth, so I had to wait for him to "catch up" because I didn't recognize the moves for the sixth and final series. Other than that, it went well. I didn't struggle as much as I thought I would, and I realize I can increase my goal numbers down the road.

Time: 58 minutes; Calories Burned: 510; Avg Heart Rate: 115; Max Heart Rate: 156.


TUESDAY - MARCH 12, 2013 - Cardio 5-6 Plus (Super Cardio) (One on One)

After yesterday's workout, I wasn't feeling any soreness at all, and figured that after thirteen weeks of P90X and four weeks of Asylum 2 my body might not get sore, despite all the pushups and pullups. At 4:00 in the morning, I woke up and realized I was wrong. My shoulders, arms, back, rib cage, and abs are all sore. But, I'm glad. It means I worked hard. I didn't want to do another resistance workout today, and all my new ones are resistance ones, so I pulled this one out. It's not my favorite cardio routine, but it does get my heart rate up in places. I worked up a good sweat, and it did the trick.

Time: 46 minutes; Calories Burned: 410; Avg Heart Rate: 116; Max Heart Rate: 174.


WEDNESDAY - MARCH 13, 2013 - Just Arms (One on One)

This was the first time I did this workout, so I didn't really know what weights to use on a lot of the exercises. Sometimes with arm exercises, you need to play it smart and not burn out your arms on the first few moves. I've now got a better idea what to use the next time I do it. Overall, I liked the routine, but maybe not as much as I thought I would. Maybe after I get used to it a bit, and can max things out a bit more, I'll get more out of it. I also noticed my heart rate waan't getting up, and I got a horrible calorie burn for the time involved.

Time: 46 minutes; Calories Burned: 295; Avg Heart Rate: 103; Max Heart Rate: 150.


THURSDAY - MARCH 14, 2013 - Patience "Hummingbird" (One on One)

Patience "Hummingbird" is a 36 minute Yoga routine, and again, it's new to me. Tony moves real slow in this one. He cuts down on the amount of moves, instead doing them slower, and holding the poses longer. He concentrates more on the calmness and breathing aspects of Yoga. I liked it. My shoulders are still burning from Monday's 30-15 routine, so I actually had to go to my knees on one of the Chaturanga moves he seemed to be holding forever. I had a problem holding a few other poses, but other than that, everything went well. It's good to have another Yoga option.

Time: 36 minutes; Calories Burned: 212; Avg Heart Rate: 97; Max Heart Rate: 127.


FRIDAY - MARCH 15, 2013 - Plyo Legs (One on One)

Another first time workout. This was Tony's first One on One video, and I think he wanted to make a point. I had seen a list of the moves beforehand, and most of them looked like they were taken from P90X Legs and Back or P90X Plyometrics. Since I don't usually have problems with either of those routines, I figured this one would be one of the easier routines for me. I was wrong. He amped up a lot of the exercises I thought I was familiar with, and did the same with the ones I wasn't familiar with. Going in, I saw there were twenty moves listed, and the workout was 64 minutes, so I'm thinking we'd do each of them twice. Wrong again. Once was enough. My legs were fried by the time I was done. Plus a lot of the exercises were cardio based, adding to the exhaustion. The one thing I have going for me was that he used 4 lb or 6 lb medicine balls on a few of the exercises, and I used an 8 lb ball. Most of the moves I kept up with. Some I did less reps than he did. A few of the moves were balance moves (Super Skaters and Dead Lift Squats), and I had to tap almost each rep because my balance is so bad. Also, I could only do 2 minutes of the Wall Squats, while he did 3 minutes. On the Single Leg Walls Squats, I held out for the full 100 seconds, but my knees weren't at 90 degrees. They were at more like 45 degrees. Overall, a very good leg workout.

Time: 63 minutes; Calories Burned: 534; Avg Heart Rate: 113; Max Heart Rate: 156.


SATURDAY - MARCH 16, 2013 - Cardio Confusion: Mason's Choice (One on One)

Keeping with the One on One's this week. I've had this one for a few years, and of all the workout's I've accumulated, it's my favorite. My legs and butt were really sore from Plyo Legs last night, so I wasn't going full blast in this one. On the 20th of 24 moves (the lateral jumping Egan Brothers move) I tweaked a calf muscle, and toned it down even further for the rest of the workout. Needless to say, I didn't get a good calorie burn, but I still enjoyed it.

Tome: 43 minutes; Calories Burned: 346; Avg Heart Rate: 112; Max Heart Rate: 156.


SUNDAY - MARCH 17, 2013 - Iso Abs (One on One) and Weigh-In

Iso Abs
Again, another new workout for me. I was looking for another ab routine to stick into the hybrid I'm about to do, and came across this one in Tony's One on One series. I saw a review on it. It looked interesting, and a bit different from the other ab workouts I had, so I ordered it. I loved it. The moves were slower than the other ab workouts. 10 moves done twice each, and 12 reps on each move. I did all 240 reps, but my legs were really burning on the last exercise. The workout was 38 minutes, about twice the time of the other ab workouts, but it went fast. If the pattern follows from the other first time workouts I did this week, I'm going to be really, really sore tomorrow. But that's a good thing.

Time: 38 minutes; Calories Burned: 217; Avg Heart Rate: 97; Max Heart Rate: 117.

Weigh In
Weight: 177.5 Body Fat: 22.6%
An increase of 1.0 lbs and .2% Body Fat. Not good. I'd like to eat great for just one week to see what happens.


WEEK's RECAP
All One on One's this week. Of the seven workouts I did this week, five were brand new to me. They were hard, and I was sore as hell after each of them, but I loved them all. Thanks to Tony Horton and Beachbody for creating these workouts.

Next week, I'll be doing a few Insanity workouts I haven't done before, and I'll throw in a couple Bonus One on One's I got with P90X2 that I've only done once each.

No comments: