Monday, April 29, 2013

HYBRID - WEEK 3 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Week of 4/29/2013

My entire Hybrid schedule is on my April 6, 2013 entry.


MONDAY - APRIL 29, 2013 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Speed and Agility

When I think back to when I did Asylum last August, most of what I recall being really difficult is from this workout. It's a beast, and it wears you out in a hurry. I get tired doing regular Insanity, but not to the point I get with this workout. However, I did my best and got through it. I will admit I've got a long, long way to go to keep up with this one.

Time: 45 minutes; Calories Burned: 513; Avg Heart Rate: 131; Max Heart Rate: 156.


TUESDAY - APRIL 30, 2013 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Strength

Another tough workout, but except for a few of the pullup moves, I handled everything well. I used 15lbs on the weighted moves, which doesn't sound like a lot, but with the amount of moves you are doing, and the lack of rest in between you can wear yourself out really quick.

Time: 47 minutes; Calories Burned: 557; Avg Heart Rate: 135; Max Heart Rate: 216.


WEDNESDAY - MAY 1, 2013 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Vertical Plyo

I often read where people think this the toughest of the Asylum Volume 1 workouts. I could never figure out why because it was never that difficult for me compared to the other ones. Today I figured it out. It's because I'm only doing about 2/3 of the workout!! I simply can't keep up. The warm up is ridiculously draining. It's ten minutes of non-stop moving around. Even the people in the video are stopping to catch their breath. Then you get a 4 minute stretch. Then you get another 23 minutes of non-stop jumping around, pushups, etc. I guess that's what workouts are supposed to be, and there are others that are just as hard, but I can usually come close to keeping up. Not this one. Good thing it's one of the shorter ones. I'm officially humbled!

Time: 39 minutes; Calories Burned: 440; Avg Heart Rate: 131; Max Heart Rate: 157.


THURSDAY - MAY 2, 2013 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Relief

This is probably my favorite of all the Stretch / Recovery workouts that I have, and today was the perfect day for it. I found I was able to max out all the stretches, and I even was able to get on my tip-toes and hold the "relevate" for almost the entire time at the end. That's unusual for me.

Time: 23 minutes; Calories burned: 96; Avg Heart Rate: 88; Max Heart Rate: 109.


FRIDAY - MAY 3, 2013 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Back to Core

This workout starts out with 8 minutes of a cardio warm-up, mostly jumping jacks, then proceeds to some back exercises done with resistance bands, holding twists, etc. Aside from coming out of a few of the twists a few times, I didn't have any problems getting through this.

Time: 42 minutes; Calories Burned: 394; Avg Heart Rate: 119; Max Heart Rate: 139.


SATURDAY - MAY 4, 2013 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 1) - Game Day / Overtime

GAME DAY
I just saw a video on You Tube two days ago of someone ranking the toughest Beachbody workouts and this combo (Game Day combined with Overtime) came in as the toughest. I'm not sure I agree, but with Overtime attached, it's definitely up there. I was tired and sluggish going into it (again, not eating well), and started out really slow. I remember I was really bad on the Wrestling and Speed Skating sections where I was just out of gas, and half-assing it. I tried to concentrate and re-group and push myself on some of the other exercises, but there was just no energy left by the time I got to the end. The pitching section of the baseball moves was pathetic.

Time: 61 minutes; Calories Burned: 594; Avg Heart Rate: 122; Max Heart Rate: 152.

OVERTIME
I'd only done Overtime twice before and I'd remembered it was really, really hard, especially after doing Game Day. After finishing Game Day, I watched the 8 minutes of trailers on the DVD, then jumped right into it. These moves are tough enough when you are fresh, but after an hour of Game Day, they're almost impossible. If I got half the reps in, I was lucky. But it wasn't just me. When I looked up to see the video, I noticed the 2 Marines that were doing the workout with Shaun were also on their knees, barely able to do the moves. So I guess I don't feel too bad. I look upon this as a challenge. There's a lot of room for improvement.

Time: 14 minutes; Calories Burned: 168; Avg Heart Rate: 136; Max Heart Rate: 154.


SUNDAY - MAY 5, 2012 - INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 2) - Ab Shredder and Weigh-In

AB SHREDDER
I got this in earlier in the day than usual. I did well. For some reason my numbers weren't as good as the last time I did it, but I think my form was better. This is a good ab workout, as I can feel them right away.

Time: 20 minutes; Calories Burned: 172; Avg Heart Rate: 112; Max Heart Rate: 137.

WEIGH-IN
Old Scale - Weight: 179.0; Body Fat: 23.0% (Minus .1 lb, +.1% Body Fat)
New Scale - Weight: 189.0; Body Fat: 19.7% (Minus 1 lb; Minus .4% Body Fat)
I didn't eat real well during the week, so I'm surprised at the weight loss. I did play golf on Friday, and cut the front lawn on Saturday, so maybe that made a difference. I'm going to write to the manufacturer of the new scale to see if they know of a reason for the big difference in the scales. I like the new scale much, much better, as it seems to be consistent when I step off and on multiple times. IF I don't get a clear answer, I think I'm still going to stick with the new one. At this point, it's more about my week to week losses or gains anyways.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I think I used this term earlier, but I was humbled on a lot of the workouts this week. Of all the programs I have, I think Asylum-Volume 1 is the toughest all around. There may be individual workouts in other programs that are tougher, but as a whole I struggle to keep up more with this one than any other. With that said, I absolutely love the program, and as I said before, there's room to grow with it. A LOT of room. Eating is still a problem. I just have to make it a priority. I'm a stress and boredom eater, and I need to stop myself in those situations. I love to eat, and I don't want to get to the point where I get so rigid that I have to plan my meals ahead of time. There's enjoyment in life, and I feel that would take away from it. I just have to concentrate and make better choices. Next week is Month One of Insanity. I haven't done most of those workouts in about a year. Insanity was not my favorite workout program, but it does work.




No comments: