Monday, November 24, 2014

P90 - ROUND 1 - WEEK 1 - WEEK OF 11/12/2014

I took a much needed two week rest. I was going to take a third, but was itching to give P90 a try. I know it's supposed to be a step down from what I've been doing the past few years, but to be honest, I kinda need that for a while. I'm starting to get burned out a bit. These routines are a bit shorter also, so that'll help me out mentally too. I lost a little over a pound the last two weeks, so I'm starting the round at 198.8 lbs and 22.5% body fat.

THE SCHEDULE

P90 gives you the option of a "Sweat" schedule, where you do 3 days of Sweat a week and 2 days of Sculpt. or the "Sculpt" schedule, which is just the reverse. I've chosen to do a balanced schedule, doing the Sweat schedule one week, then the Sculpt schedule the next week. I purchased the extra Speed Series Disc, so on Wednesday's I'll be substituting the regular Sweat or Sculpt workouts (depending on the week) with the Speed versions. Most Saturdays will be the Saturday Special workout, with every 4th Saturday being the "Horton's Greatest Hits" workout instead. Sundays will be the Ab Ripper workout for the appropriate phase I'm in, with every 4th Sunday being the Speed Abs workout. It's not much of a difference from the main workout schedules, but it'll allow me the opportunity to use all the workouts a bit, which is what I like to do.


MONDAY - NOVEMBER 24, 2014 - P90 - Sweat A

I'd seen a few P90X grads videos on youtube after they tried this one and they all said it was indeed easier than P90X, Insanity, etc, but still challenging. The one thing I noticed in each of those videos was that they'd worked up a sweat. Now I know why. I agree, it's not Insanity, but by the end I was gasping for air and sweating also. None of the moves seemed particularly hard, but the Sprawl's at the end of each set, especially the last one, were killers. I was shocked when he had us doing those on a supposed "starter" program, and then for a minute straight. Granted, I haven't worked out in two weeks, and I am fighting off a cold which is draining me a bit, but I was humbled doing those. I also burned over 300 calories in only 27 minutes. Anytime I burn more than 10 calories per minute on average, I look at as a good workout. We'll see if it remains as challenging once I get going again.

Time: 27 minutes; Calories Burned: 314; Avg Heart Rate: 133; Max Heart Rate: 215.


TUESDAY - NOVEMBER 25, 2014 - P90 - Sculpt A

Again, I was surprised. I decided to try doing the workout with bands, which I've never really seriously used since my first week of P90X six years ago. I have to admit they challenged me more than I thought they would. I got all the reps in on all the moves and I was tired at the end. This is a workout that could be as tough as you want it to be by simply increasing the weight you want to use.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 304; Avg Heart Rate: 121; Max Heart Rate: 158.


WEDNESDAY - NOVEMBER 26, 2014 - P90 - Speed Sweat

I thought this was a bit easier than Monday's workout. I know I wasn't as gassed as Monday and I didn't burn as many calories. In reality it wasn't too much of a challenge, but throughout the 90 days you need days like that.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 248; Avg Heart Rate: 121; Max Heart Rate: 144.


THURSDAY - NOVEMBER 27, 2014 - P90 - Sculpt A

Today was Thanksgiving. I can't say I overate, but I did have more than a few pieces of pie, so I was feeling a bit uncomfortable going into the workout. That feeling stayed throughout it. I used weights today instead of the bands. 25's on most of the moves, 10's on the tricep kickbacks. They tired me out a bit more and I did some of them a bit faster than they did on the video. Going slow was tiring me out even more.


Time: 31 minutes; Calories Burned: 352; Avg Heart Rate: 130; Max Heart Rate: 158.


FRIDAY - NOVEMBER 28, 2014 - P90 - Sweat A

I did better on this than Monday. Maybe it's because I've been working out for a few days. The only move that killed me was the Sprawls. Those things really get my heart rate up.

Time: 27 minutes; Calories Burned: 276; Avg Heart Rate: 124; Max Heart Rate: 155.


SATURDAY - NOVEMBER 29, 2014 - P90 - Saturday Special

This is a cardio and core workout. I didn't go all out because I wasn't familiar with all the moves and I'm not in "cardio" shape. I ran out of gas on a few of the moves, but it'll get better.

Time: 27 minutes; Calories Burned: 266; Avg Heart Rate: 119; Max Heart Rate: 140.


SUNDAY - NOVEMBER 30, 2014 - P90 - Ab Ripper A

Only 8 minutes. Not extremely tough, but tougher than I thought it would be.

Time: 8 minutes; Calories Burned: 44; Avg Heart Rate: 93; Max Heart Rate: 109.


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 200.4 (+1.6 lbs)
Body Fat: 22.9% (+0.4%)

Not a good way to start the program.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

Let me start by saying I've not been feeling well all week, so my stamina wasn't there. All of the routines were a bit harder than I expected. One of the reasons was I noticed there are very few breaks. He goes from one move to another lickety split. I wasn't prepared for that. I'm looking forward to seeing how I do with this program once I'm feeling better.


No comments: