Monday, June 3, 2013

HYBRID - WEEK 8 - MIXED BAG (Various Alternative and Bonus Workouts) - Week of 6/3/2013

My entire Hybrid schedule is on the April 6, 2013 entry.


This week is filled with Alternative and Bonus workouts I have that I couldn't fit into the Hybrid schedule in other weeks.

MONDAY - JUNE 3, 2013 - TONY HORTON ONE ON ONE - Upper Body Balance

This was the last workout of Volume 2 of Tony's One on One series and was a glimpse of what was to come in P90X2. A lot of pushups on medicine balls and a lot of core moves in boat position. I did pretty good on the pushup moves, doing 30 Four Ball Pushups (only coming off once), and I even got in 3 Impossible Pushups. That doesn't sound like a lot, but it's only the second time in about 7 attempts that I even did one. I like the workout in general. The pace is a bit slow, and my heart rate didn't get up too high because of the breaks Tony was taking, but after the fast pace of last week's P90X+ workouts, it was welcomed.

Time: 53 minutes; Calories Burned: 344; Avg Heart Rate: 102; Max Heart Rate: 150.


TUESDAY - JUNE 4, 2013 - 1) INSANITY: THE ASYLUM (VOLUME 2) - Pure Contact, and 2) INSANITY - Sanity Check

PURE CONTACT
This is only a 23 minute workout that concentrates on jumping and landing properly. It's only the second time I've done it, but I remembered I enjoyed it the first time, so I was looking forward to it. I got a bit tangled up in my footwork at times on some of the agility moves, but otherwise it went well. I forgot to hit "start" on my heart rate monitor, so I made some educated guesses based on my numbers from last time and how hard I was pushing this time. Even though it's a short workout, you are exerting yourself almost the entire time.

Time: 23 minutes; Calories Burned: 220; Avg Heart Rate: 123; Max Heart Rate: 148.

SANITY CHECK
I had this workout scheduled for the beginning of week 4, but I'd lent it to someone who'd misplaced it, so I did Insanity Fit Test on that day instead. I was a bit bummed at the time because I'd only done Sanity Check once before, and really wanted to include it in the Hybrid. Since I only had Pure Contact scheduled for today, and it was short workout, I figured I'd add in Sanity Check today, as it's also a short workout. After finishing Pure Contact, the only time I had between the workouts was the time it took me to change discs in the DVD player. I remember the first time I did Sanity Check I struggled a bit, but this time I didn't have any problems. Maybe because I was already warmed up. Anyways, I enjoyed it. It's a good sampling of Insanity. Also, I remembered to start the heart rate monitor for this one.

Time: 26 minutes; Calories Burned: 258; Avg Heart Rate: 123; Max Heart Rate: 147.


WEDNESDAY - JUNE 5, 2013 - INSANITY - Upper Body Weight Training

I'd only done this one once before, in March 2013. At the time, I recall it being hard, but not as hard as anticipated. Today it was hard. Harder than anticipated. As with the first time I did it, I used 20 lbs on the 12 rep moves, 25 lbs on the 10 rep moves, and 30 lbs on the 8 rep moves. The only exception was I used 10's (all three rounds) on the pushups where you lift one arm off the floor at the top of the pushup. I did all the reps on all the moves, which is good. I know I used too heavy weights on a lot of the moves, and too little on a few others, but he moves so fast, it's almost impossible to adjust my Powerblock weights. I'm typing this about 30 minutes after the workout. My body is still shaking, and my arms are still a bit numb. On a side note, my body is sore almost everyday. I think I may be coming down with a cold because it's unusually achy today. I'm hoping it's just the workouts causing it. The rest of this week is probably the easiest four day stretch of the Hybrid. A perfect time for it.

Time: 47 minutes; Calories Burned: 471; Avg Heart Rate: 124; Max Heart Rate: 153.


THURSDAY - JUNE 6, 2013 - REST

Turns out the cold I thought I had coming on was real. I wasn't felling real good this morning (running a small fever), but went into work anyways. I began having chills a few times during the day. About 3:00 I decided was no longer useful in the state I was in, so I left 90 minutes early. The entire 30 minute ride home I was shaking uncontrollably. I made it home, jumped in bed at 3:30, and stayed there for about 24 hours straight. I had X-Stretch scheduled for today. I figured if there was a workout to miss that wouldn't hurt me, it would be this one. I think the onset of this thing combined with the intense Upper Body Weight Training workout I did yesterday really did me in.


FRIDAY - JUNE 7, 2013 - REST

Still sick. Didn't go to work, which is rare for me. I don't get sick very often (maybe every two or three years), but when I do, I'm usually sick for at least 5 days. I felt a little better towards the end of the day, but not enough to do anything. I finally took a shower before going to bed, and that wore me out. I had Tony Horton's One On One On One Leg For Legs scheduled for today. I'd only done it twice before, but it's basically a balancing routine with no impact or cardio involved. Since I can't balance very well, I really don't get too much out of it. Again, not an important workout to skip.


SATURDAY - JUNE 8, 2013 - P90X - Cardio X

I'm feeling even a bit better than yesterday, and even got out to the nearby supermarket to pick up a few things. Unless I have a relapse, I'm thinking I got off easy with this bug. I was debating on what to do with my Hybrid schedule. I was thinking of just taking a full week off to let my body fully recover, and picking it up again next Thursday, or ... just letting go of the two workouts I missed (since they were almost rest days anyways), and simply stick to what I had normally scheduled. Since Cardio X is not one of the most intense workouts I'm doing, I decided to go for it in the early evening. About 2 minutes into the warmup I was thinking it might have been a bad move, as I started laboring. I ended up getting through it OK, only taking it a bit easier than normal on the Dreya Rolls, but I'm still wondering if it's the right decision. I keep reading that you have to listen to your body. Something's telling me to take a break. The problem is that I don't know if it's my body telling me it's had enough, or if it's my brain coming up with excuses to take a break. The macho side of me is saying to go for it while the cautious side is telling me no. I'm going to do the 13 minute ab workout I have scheduled for tomorrow, and sometime before my workout Monday evening I'm going to have to decide what to about next week.

Time: 43 minutes; Calories Burned: 375; Avg Heart Rate: 117; Max Heart Rate: 149.


SUNDAY - JUNE 9, 2013 - INSANITY - Fast and Furious Abs / Weigh-In

FAST AND FURIOUS ABS
I spent the early part of the day taking it easy and almost felt normal again. About 4pm I went grocery shopping and was getting a bit light headed. When I came home I trimmed a few bushes for about 30 minutes and got a bit winded. I started the workout a bit after 7pm. By the second exercise I was really winded. I got through the 13 minute workout, but it's obvious my body's not recovered yet, even though I thought and hoped it would be. I guess I'm not Superman afterall.

Time: 13 minutes; Calories Burned: 125; Avg Heart Rate: 121; Max Heart Rate: 140.

WEIGH-IN
Weight: 174.3; Body Fat: 21.9%
A drop of 1.1 lb and .5% body fat. I was expecting a drop because I haven't eaten much since Thursday, but the body fat decrease is significant for one week. On the new scale I dropped 2.2 lbs and .2% body fat.


OVERALL THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

It was a strange week. In my five years of doing this, I think this is the first time I've ever missed a scheduled workout (illness or otherwise) in the middle of an official program. The first three days went fine, but after that it was hard to judge because I missed two workouts, and wasn't at 100% in the other two. However, it wasn't a total loss. It told me to listen to my body and to take care of it. You do the best you can. I think I'm going to play it smart and decide to take next week off.











No comments: