Monday, August 19, 2013

LES MILLS PUMP / COMBAT HYBRID - WEEK 5 - Week of 8/19/2013

MONDAY - AUGUST 19, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Warrior 1: Upper Body Blowout

This was supposed to be a recovery week away from the weights of Pump. I hadn't done any of the Les Mills Combat videos before, so I scheduled the extras for my recovery. This one was anything but recovery. It was 25 minutes of throwing punches with weights (I used 15 lb weights), pushups, Insanity moves (In and out abs and Ski Abs), even some Renegade Rows.. It reminded me of an Asylum workout. I kept up with most of it. Good thing it was only 25 minutes. My average heart rate got up over anything I did with Pump, and I got a good calorie burn for the time involved.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 251; Avg Heart Rate: 125; Max Heart Rate: 205.


TUESDAY - AUGUST 20, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Shock Plyo Hiit 2

Another workout that was a bit more intense than I was expecting. A lot of pushups (again), burpees, squats. I got through it OK.

Time: 29 minutes; Calories Burned: 305; Avg Heart Rate: 127; Max Heart Rate: 146.


WEDNESDAY - AUGUST 21, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Core Attack

This was similar to an Ab Ripper X routine, but with different moves. I liked a lot of the moves, especially the one with the weight involved. I used a 10 lb weight on that one today. I think the workout was efficient. No wasted moves or time.

Time: 19 minutes; Calories Burned: 106; Avg Heart Rate: 99; max Heart Rate: 128.


THURSDAY - AUGUST 22, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Stretch and Strength

Because this is the first time I did this I wasn't familiar with many of the fighter stances the were using during the first half. I think I'll like it more once I know what I'm doing. The second half was mostly stretches I've done with P90X.

Time: 18 minutes; Calories Burned: 67; Avg Heart Rate: 86; Max Heart Rate: 101.


FRIDAY - AUGUST 23, 2013 - OFF DAY

I wasn't home all day and had no chance to do any kind of a workout. I'll do today's scheduled workout tomorrow.


SATURDAY - AUGUST 24, 2014 - LES MILLS COMBAT - 1) Warrior 2: Lower Body; and 2) Power: HIIT 1

1) WARRIOR 2: LOWER BODY

I didn't do real well on this one. There were too many moves where I had to stop and try to see what they were doing. Once I get the footwork down, I think it'll be much more effective.

Time: 29 minutes; Calories Burned: 220; Avg Heart Rate: 107; Max Heart Rate: 140.

2) POWER: HIIT 1

I waited about 30 minutes after finishing the first workout, then got into this one. It wasn't as choreographed, so I was able to do most of the exercises (but not all) without having to hesitate because I was out of synch. I used 15 lb weights on the deadrows and presses. I think I can up that in the future. The toughest moves were the burpees combined with a pushup and squats. I got through the 8 rep and 12 rep progressions, but only did another 12 during the 16 rep progression. I was simply out of gas and doing them a bit slower than those in the video. One note, and I don't like to be negative, but Regan, or Ray Ray, or whatever his name is, really needs to shut up. His constant chatter sounded canned, obvious, and got real old in a hurry. Other than that, this is a good workout.

Time: 31 minutes; Calories Burned: 319; Avg Heart Rate: 124; Max Heart Rate: 155.


SUNDAY - AUGUST 25, 2013 - WEIGH-IN

Weight:190.4; Body Fat 20.5%

I ate real bad earlier in the week. A lot of sweets, so this wasn't unexpected. I physically felt bad while eating that stuff in large quantities, so hopefully I'll remember than if I get into a state like that again.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I'd never done any of the Combat workouts before, so I'd picked out these supplementary and bonus workouts to use as my "recovery week". I'll admit some of them were tougher than I'd anticipated. The only saving grace was that they were short, usually under 30 minutes. It'll be back to Les Mills Pump next week. I'll be using the two longer Pump workouts for the first time, and I'll be mixing in what I think are the regular Combat workouts on my Tuesday and Saturday cardio days. We'll see how it goes.


No comments: