Monday, August 5, 2013

LES MILLS PUMP / COMBAT HYBRID - WEEK 3 - Week of 8/5/2013

UPDATE

For various reasons I've decided to turn this 90 day Les Mills Pump round into a Les Mills Pump / Les Mills Combat Hybrid. I wasn't liking the Pump cardio workouts at all. I hadn't scheduled any recovery weeks. My right elbow is already starting to bother me, so I think a recovery week is a good idea. I have the Les Mills Combat program, but haven't done it yet. It's a 60 day program, but I couldn't see myself just doing cardio for 60 days, so mixing the two seems like a natural fit. What I'll be doing is breaking the Hybrid down into 3 phases (5 weeks, 4 weeks, 4 weeks) with a "recovery week" at the end of each phase. The recovery weeks will be the "Warrior" and "HIIT" workouts from Combat. Beginning with phase 2 of the Hybrid, I'll be substituting the regular Les Mills Combat workouts (Combat 30, Combat 45, Combat 60, Combat 60 Live) in for the Les Mills Pump cardio workouts.


MONDAY - AUGUST 5. 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Pump Challenge

I used 25s again. Everything went well, except for the lunges, which are tough for me because I can't bend my ankles to get my knee on the ground.

Time: 26 minutes; Calories Burned: 207; Avg Heart Rate: 112; Max Heart Rate: 210.


TUESDAY - AUGUST 6, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Combat

This workout is from the Les Mills Pump program, and I'm assuming it was the inspiration for the Les Mills Combat program. I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than the Step and Sports Attack workouts. It was the first time I did it, so I was a bit uncoordinated on many of the moves. I think once I get them down, it'll be a much more fun workout.

Time:46 minutes; Calories Burned: 347; Avg Heart Rate: 107; Max Heart Rate: 127.


WEDNESDAY - AUGUST 7, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Pump and Burn

I tried playing it smart by only using the recommended 10 lb weights during the warmup, then increasing it to 25s on each side during the regular workout. It seemed to work a lot better. I even used a 25 lb weight on the ab crunches with no problems. I'm seriously trying to eat better but I'm all over the place. I can't get it together. I'm just not giving myself good available options when it's time to eat. You would think after all these years I'd have it figured out, but I don't. I'm also concerned about the low calorie burns on these workouts. With P90X, Insanity, Asylum, a calorie burn of 400 was horrible. I don't think I've gotten any where near 400 on any of these workouts. However, I can feel the muscles in my shoulders and legs getting stronger, so that's why I'm continuing on with this.

Time: 35 minutes; Calories Burned: 267; Avg Heart Rate: 109; Max Heart Rate: 206.


THURSDAY - AUGUST 8, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Flow

Relaxing, but still not as flexible as I'd like. Maybe that's just the way it is, but I'll still work on it.

Time: 20 minutes; Calories Burned: 82; Avg Heart Rate: 88; Max Heart Rate: 106.


FRIDAY - AUGUST 9, 2013 -LES MILLS PUMP - Pump and Shred

This may be the first time in this program that I felt like I got a workout anywhere near P90X or Asylum. I used 25s on each side again. I only rested a few time during the Chest section. It's my goal to get through that section without a rest.

Time: 47 minutes; Calories Burned: 484; Avg Heart Rate: 127; Max Heart Rate: 210.


SATURDAY - AUGUST 10, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Combat

I was actually looking forward to doing this one today. I'd been through it for the first time on Tuesday, figured I knew the moves a bit, and could go harder. That worked for about 30 minutes. I wasn't totally familiar with what I was doing, but was certainly doing better than Tuesday. However, with about 15 minutes left I hit a mental wall. They started doing a series of moves I had a hard time following. I was getting frustrated and totally lost interest at that point. I finished out the workout but my heart just wasn't in it.

Time: 46 minutes; Calories Burned: 336; Avg Heart Rate: 106; Max Heart Rate: 131.


SUNDAY - AUGUST 11, 2013 - 1) LES MILLS PUMP - Hard Core Abs;  and 2) Weigh In

HARD CORE ABS
Not much to say. I did OK. It's a good little routine.

Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned: 81; Avg Heart Rate: 95; Max Heart Rate: 140.

WEIGH-IN
Weight: 193.2; Body Fat: 20.8%
No change in either number. I'm really frustrated with myself on the nutrition end. It seems like when I got the new scale about 4 months ago, and it consistently read 10 lbs more than the old one, I lost my "why". Weight isn't the ultimate thing here, but it is some kind of a measuring stick, and right now it's depressing. I'm at the point where I feel no matter what I do, it isn't going to matter, and that's a problem. And I need to get over it.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I'm still not sold on this program. It seems like a "one trick pony". All the strength workouts have pretty much the same moves in them, just with different lengths of time. The two cardio workouts I did the first two weeks were horrible. I replaced them with the Combat workout this week. It was a bit better, but I totally lost interest in it on Saturday. I'm going to keep plugging away though. I think if I saw better results on the scale I'd feel more motivated, but I'm not. I will admit I do feel my muscles a bit more though. That, and my "no quit" attitude, are the only things keeping me going.


No comments: