Monday, August 26, 2013

LES MILLS PUMP / COMBAT HYBRID - WEEK 6 - Week of 8/26/2013

MONDAY - AUGUST 26, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Pump and Burn

Back to the Pump workouts. I continued where I left off by using 10's on each side during the warmup, and the using 30's on each side during the rest of the workout. I had to stop a few times during the Chest section as usual, and once or twice briefly during the back section. Other than that I was OK, but I was feeling it.

Time: 35 minutes; Calories Burned: 286; Avg Heart Rate: 113; Max Heart Rate: 220.


TUESDAY - AUGUST 27, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Combat 30: Kick Start

This was my first regular Combat workout. It started out slow and I was wondering if I was going to be bored to death, but it picked up after a while, and I actually enjoyed it. One thing I've noticed about the Les Mills workouts, both Pump and what I've done of Combat so far, is that the trainers don't motivate me as much as Tony Horton and Shaun T do. Maybe it's because they're made for a different audience and definitely less intense than Tony and Shaun's workouts. Either way, after 5 years of intense, I need a few months of this.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 224; Avg Heart Rate: 106; Max Heart Rate: 127.


WEDNESDAY - AUGUST 28, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Pump Revolution

Now THAT was a workout. Because I knew this one was 55 minutes, I decided to reduce my main barbell weights from 30 lbs on each side to 25 lbs on each side. It generally went OK, until I got to the bicep section. This is the first time I've done this workout, and this is the first time in the Pump program that there is a Bicep section. Jericho said to reduce the weight to the "warmup" weight, which for me is 10 to 15 lbs. I wanted to work my arms and knew I could curl 25's on each side with no problem, so that's what I went with. Big mistake. I can do 25's, but not at the speed and amount of reps they were doing. I burned out fast on that section, and by the end of it was only doing half to a third of what they were doing. This fatigue carried over to the next section, which was lunges. I was so exhausted, I had to put the bar down several times. On the ab section I used a 25 lb weight, because it was the only one I had that wasn't on the barbell. They were using 10's. I got through it, but tired out quickly. I guess this was an ego check today. Next time I play it smarter. Also, I burned 629 calories, which is similar to a P90X or Insanity workout. That's the first time that's happened with this program. By the way, I turned 56 today. I feel like I'm 26.

Time: 57 minutes: Calories Burned: 629; Avg Heart Rate: 132: Max Heart Rate: 229.


THURDSAY - AUGUST 29, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Flow

Not much to say about the workout. My body is tired. I'm not eating real bad, but it could be better.

Time: 22 minutes; Calories Burned: 84; Avg Heart Rate: 87; Max Heart Rate: 105.


FRIDAY - AUGUST 30, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Pump Extreme

First time doing this workout. Very similar to Pump Revolution. Again, I used 25s on each side on the Legs, Back, and Chest exercises. I used 10's on each side on the other, including the Bicep section. That went much better than Wednesday's. It was a good workout, and I can grow with it by using more weight, but the fact it was so similar to Pump Revolution left me a little less excited than when I did Pump Revolution for the first time on Wednesday.

Time: 61 minutes; Calories Burned: 581; Avg Heart Rate: 121; Max Heart Rate: 206.


SATURDAY - AUGUST 31, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Combat 60:  Extreme Cardio Fighter

Another first time workout. I liked it, but got frustrated several times because they were just jumping into choreographed move combinations without explaining them. I had to stop several times to see what they were doing. I guess that should be expected. I remember how frustrated I was learning Kenpo X moves for the first time. I'll get it down. Once I do, it looks like it'll be fun. By the way, my biceps are sore from yesterday's workout, and I was only using 10 lb weights on each side, Or maybe they're just starting to burn from Wednesday's workout, where I used 25's. I'm guessing yesterday was the culprit.

Time: 54 minutes; Calories Burned: 455; Avg Heart Rate: 112; Max Heart Rate: 141.


SUNDAY - SEPTEMBER 1, 2013 - LES MILLS PUMP - Hard Core Abs

Not much to say. I did OK.

Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned: 66; Avg Heart Rate: 88; Max Heart Rate: 117


SUNDAY WEIGH-IN

Weight: 192.6 (+2.2 lbs); Body Fat: 20.7% (+0.2%)

Not good. I didn't think I ate that bad this week, but apparently I did.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I thought the two new Pump workouts (Revolution and Extreme) were good. I also enjoyed the two new Combat workouts. I'm obviously not happy with the weight gain. The problem is that since I switched to the new scale a few months ago I don't seem to care as much. Before I had a point of reference for my beginning weight. I was excited. Since the new scale has me weighing about 10 lbs more than the old one, the excitement is gone. I know I need to get over it, look at it on a week to week basis, and move forward, but I haven't.








No comments: