Monday, December 9, 2013

FOCUS T25 - WEEK 8 - Week of 12/09/2013

MONDAY - DECEMBER 9, 2013 - The Pyramid

Today is the start of my 3 week Gamma (Strength) phase. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, but I was guessing it would be some kind of progressions, and I was right. There were a few cardio moves, and once again I had to modify the "jack" moves because of my calf. I was OK on most of the progression moves except the pushups, where I skipped the 7 count and 10 count progressions because I was out of gas. I also skipped the 11 count pike ups for the same reason. On the weight moves I used 15 lbs.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 286; Avg Heart Rate: 129; Max Heart Rate: 150.


TUESDAY - DECEMBER 10, 2013 - Speed 3.0

Are you kidding me? That was absolutely brutal, and I think I only did 50% of the moves. I had to wear my sneakers again, so I was moving a bit slower on the upright cardio moves. They affected me on the burpees too, but I'm not sure I'd have done any better in my bare feet. I've got a long way to go on this one. Well done, Shaun T.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 326; Avg Heart Rate: 139; Max Heart Rate: 156.


WEDNESDAY - DECEMBER 11, 2013 - Extreme Circuit

Another toughie, but I actually enjoyed this one. Four moves for one minute each, then repeat them all for 15 seconds each in the Burnout. Repeat that sequence four more times, with four new moves on each sequence. I was already feeling it three minutes into the workout when I had to stop a few times during the Shoulder Presses. I was using 15 lb weights, which I think is what Shaun T was using. I didn't do the pullups like Scott was doing. The weights were doing just fine. Maybe I'll try using the pullup bar in the future for variety. I'm eating really good this week. Except for two very small cookies on Sunday, I've eaten no sweets and very little sugar at all during the week. Tonight I had some chicken wings and a few Diet Pespi's at a get together for our golf and fantasy football group, but I planned for it, and didn't over indulge. I also ordered P90X3 yesterday, and I'm pumped. I can't wait to get it.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 297: Avg Heart Rate: 131; Max Heart Rate: 154.


THURSDAY - DECEMBER 12, 2013 - Stretch

I always enjoy stretch day. Not much else to say. Still eating good.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 150; Avg Heart Rate: 98; Max Heart Rate: 114.


FRIDAY - DECEMBER 13, 2013 - Core Speed

The day started out very stressful at work, so I caved and had a few small leftover Christmas cookies, the had a number of handfuls od peanut butter filled pretzels throughout the day. It's the worst I've eaten this week, but I got through it. When I got home, I took a half hour nap. Usually, I'm really sluggish after all that, but today I felt refreshed and good going into the workout. This was a supplementary workout to the T25 program, and I'd never done it before, but I really liked it. It was a repeat of a lot of T25 moves with some new ones thrown in. My calf muscle and rear knee are still a bit sore, but I pretty much went all out because I was feeling good. I'm entering this about a half hour after finishing the workout, and I still feel great.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 300; Avg Heart Rate: 133; Max Heart Rate: 153.


SATURDAY - DECEMBER 14, 2013 - Rip't Up

This was the last Focus T25 workout I hadn't done yet. For some reason it went by real fast. I remember looking at the clock at one point and seeing I was already more than halfway done, and it seemed like I'd just started. I was OK on most of the moves, but got tired during the Downward Dog to Plank section, especially doing the pushups there. I was also off a bit on the weights. For all the other routines, I'd been using 15 lbs, but in this workout there are some moves where you need lighter weights, and I used 5's there. I also had a problem balancing on one leg for some of the moves, but that's just normal for me.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 232; Avg Heart Rate: 116; Max Heart Rate: 144.


SUNDAY - DECEMBER 15, 2013 - Rest


SUNDAY WEIGH IN
Weight: 194.4 (-3.6 lbs)
Body Fat: 21.1% (-0.7%)

Last week's weigh in was the highest I been in years, so I know I had to do something. The goal was to cut out sugar and grease. When I'd initially started in 2008, that's what I concentrated on, and it worked. I'm happy with the results this week. It shows it can be done. I just need to keep it up.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

This week was all about eating better. I'd hoped to lose around 5 lbs, but I wasn't perfect, and I ate a lot of nuts which I know adds calories (but good ones). As far as the workouts went, it was my first week of the Gamma Phase, which is strength oriented. I liked the workouts. Speed 3.0 killed me, but I'll get better at it. Because the week wasn't all about jumping around, my calf seems to be feeling a lot better. All in all, a good week.

No comments: