Monday, December 30, 2013

P90X3 - WEEK 1 - Week of 12/30/2013

WEIGHT AT START OF PROGRAM = 197.4 lbs
BODY FAT AT START OF PROGRAM = 21.3%


MONDAY - DECEMBER 30, 2013 - Total Synergistics

This is my first ever P90X3 workout. I was very excited to get the program a few weeks ago, but for some reason I really wasn't that excited to start it today. I ate like absolute crap yesterday, trying to finish off all the Christmas sweets before the start of the new year. It kind of took away the excitement of the new program. I actually thought about putting it off for a week, but decided to get into it today. I also went cold turkey on the sweets. I did it a few weeks ago and felt great. I'll carry that forward into the new year. The workout was OK. Nothing super hard. I struggled with some of the pullups, mostly because I hadn't done any in months. The boat to plow moves was straining my back a bit, and it felt like that move was never going to end. I also did zero of the Half Moon to Warrior 3 moves. I simply cannot keep my balance because of my bad feet and ankles. Other than that it was fine. I do like the 30 minute time frame, but at the same time I want to get a good workout in. We'll see how it goes.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 302; Avg Heart Rate: 121; Max Heart Rate: 144.


TUESDAY - DECEMBER 31, 2013 - Agility X

Last workout of the year. For some reason I thought this one was going to be slow and easy. Wrong! Still, I liked this one. There were quite a few (actually most) of the moves where I had to stop to watch their footwork, and I still didn't get it down. However, I'll keep doing it and will hopefully get better at it. I think this is going to be one of my favorites.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 294; Avg Heart Rate: 119; Max Heart Rate: 152.


WEDNESDAY - JANUARY 1, 2014 - X3 Yoga

I like it. Most of the moves were from Yoga X with a few new ones thrown in. I haven't done a Yoga routine since July, so I was a bit rusty and not as flexible as I'd have liked. It will get better the more I do it. I used a new mat I got with the P90X3 kit. It seemed a lot sturdier than the ones I'd been using, so I was happy about that also.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 219; Avg Heart Rate: 104; Max Heart Rate: 125.


THURSDAY - JANUARY 2, 2014 - The Challenge

This is Chest and Back. 4 types of Push-ups, repeated twice. 4 types of Pull-ups, repeated twice. The idea is to give yourself a number of pull-ups and push-up you'll do each set. I haven't done concentrated amounts of either in over 6 months, so I picked 20 push-ups and 5 pull-ups. Those are low numbers, but I still struggled on some of them because I wasn't used to doing them. On a lot of the pull-up moves I even came down to the floor before finishing my 5. My arms feel like jello after the workout. My heart rate monitor battery went just before I finished up, so the numbers below are educated guesses.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 295; Avg Heart Rate: 118; Max Heart Rate: 155.


FRIDAY - JANUARY 3, 2014 - CVX

CVX is Cardio Vascular Extreme. I knew there were weights involved but didn't really know how much. There are 12 moves. You do them twice each for a minute each time. You are holding a weight for 11 of those 12 moves. I used an 8 lb medicine ball and it worked out fine. My shoulders, triceps and lats are all sore from yesterday's push-ups and pull-ups. This thing started out with Press Jacks, where you're doing jumping jacks and pressing the weight over your head at the same time. My shoulders were burning. By the third move I had to rest for a few seconds because of that. I did get through the workout, but I know I can do better. I didn't go as low as I could have on some of the reach moves. My heart rate monitor battery is dead, so once again the figures below are educated guesses.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned 300; Avg Heart Rate: 128; Max Heart Rate: 150.


SATURDAY - JANUARY 4, 2014 - The Warrior

When I was reading through the Workout Guide and saw the moves involved, I realized this was Tony's U-C-M-L workout, which is a circuit routine of Upper Body, Cardio, Middle Body, Lower Body. On on of his live chats he demonstrated it and called it his "Warrior Workout", so I had an idea as to what to expect. I'm still sore as hell from "The Challenge" and have been feeling worn out all day because of that. I sucked on the push-up moves (especially the Elevators) because I was so sore, and I'd say I was only OK on the rest of the moves. I can't say it was my best effort. One thing about the soreness: I don't get this from any other workout programs other than the P90X programs. I'm sure it's from the concentrated push-ups and pull-ups that the other programs don't offer, but I'm thinking I'm going to be sore for the next 90 days. I'm still eating well too. Hardly any sweets or greasy foods at all since Sunday. Also, new battery for the heart rate monitor, so it's working again.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 305; Avg Heart Rate: 123; Max Heart Rate: 149.


SUNDAY - JANUARY 5, 2014 - X3 Ab Ripper

Back to the Sunday ab workouts. This was tough in spots. I had to go to my knees a few times to rest during the Dolphin Hops, and I know there was at least one other move where I had to rest for a few seconds (can't remember which one) but once I get used to the moves I think I'll be able to complete everything without that happening. I used 5 lb weights on the two weighted moves, and I completed all 110 reps of the Speed Cycle, which was good. It was a bit different than P90X Ab Ripper and X2 Ab Ripper, where all the moves were on the floor, and there were no weights involved. I liked the difference. All I all, I thought this was a good routine.

Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned:130; Avg Heart Rate: 113; Max Heart Rate: 134.


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 193.6 (-3.8 lbs)
Body Fat: 21.2% (-0.1%)

I'm happy with the drop. I concentrated on eating well, and it seems to have paid off.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I haven't done a Tony Horton workout in 5 or 6 months, so it was good to get back to the "X". That's my home. I really liked the new workouts. When I heard these workout weren't "graduate" workouts from P90X or P90X2, and were only 30 minutes long, I wasn't sure what kind of a workout I'd get. My fears have been qualmed. They're intense workouts, and I think I'm going to get great results, especially with the fact I'm eating better. As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm already "P90X sore". Another good thing that happened today. On Sundays, I usually treat my self to a frozen pizza. I've been eating so good lately, it didn't even taste good, and I have no real desire to finish it, The weight loss this week is just more motivation for me.

No comments: