Monday, April 17, 2017

INSANITY: MAX 30 - ROUND 1 - WEEK 1 - WEEK OF 04/17/2017

MONDAY - APRIL 17, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Cardio Challenge

I so much enjoyed doing the Max 30 workouts the last two weeks that I've decided to do a full Round of it. I tried a round back in 2015, but quit on it after 2 weeks because my heart wasn't into it. I feel a little better about it now. I did OK today. I felt pretty good until I got to the Wide In and Outs with the shoulder taps. I felt uncoordinated doing them and maxed out at 16:52. What was funny was afterwards I saw a video of Shaun T doing the workout at his home and he maxed out at almost exactly the same time I did, and he looked uncoordinated too. So I guess it's not just me. Been eating bad the last two days. Someone gave me some Easter Candy. I haven't had candy in months and I just caved. But I'll get back on track. Today at work I noticed my pants were wearing real loose around my waist. So much that I had to go down a belt hole.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 346; Avg Heart Rate: 135; Max Heart Rate: 159.


TUESDAY - APRIL 18, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Tabata Power

I'm thinking this might be the easiest workout for me in Max 30. The only place I was really struggling was in the Plyo Pushup section. I finished them, but I was probably going a bit slower than they were on some of them. I'm not sure if I officially "maxed out", but I did stumble and bumble a bit during the tricep section where you were alternating reaching towards your leg. I also stopped a few times for a few seconds in the last two minutes or so. I'm still stress eating a little here and there and finishing up the remaining jelly beans, so I'm beating myself up over that a bit. But I'll regroup and be OK. I've gotten into the habit of eating better the last few months, so this is a blip. Overall, I wasn't happy with my effort today, but that's been the exception lately, which is good.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 223; Avg Heart Rate: 114; Max Heart Rate: 154.


WEDNESDAY - APRIL 19, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Sweat Intervals

I think I like this one. None of the moves are extra hard, but they compound on one another to wear you out. It definitely takes the wind out of you quickly. The only moves I had trouble with physically were the quick moving lunges, which I can't do real fast, or get my back leg too low. The warm-up was also pounding on my calve muscles, but I got through it.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 347; Avg Heart Rate: 137; Max Heart Rate: 164.


THURSDAY - APRIL 20, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Tabata Strength

I got through it OK. I maxed out during the second set of the low Diamond Pushup holds. I didn't get real low on all of the pushups but did give it a good effort.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 319; Avg Heart Rate: 130; Max Heart Rate: 151.


FRIDAY - APRIL 21, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Friday Fight - Round 1

This was a mental game today. There were several times during the workout where I felt like stopping, but I fought through. A few of those times was when Shawn was telling me to not let my mind beat my body and to keep going. I finally maxed out around the 12 minute mark. Can't even remember the move. I stopped for a few seconds several times after that, but once again, I did my best. I say that almost every workout, but it's the truth. These workouts are a challenge for me, and I'm not dogging anything.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 325; Avg Heart Rate: 133; Max Heart Rate: 148.


SATURDAY - APRIL 22, 2017 - INSANITY: Max 30 - Ab Attack:10 and Pulse

Ab Attack: 10
I normally will do my ab workout for the week on Sundays, but because there is no high intensity workout for Saturdays in the Max 30 schedule, and the recovery workout Pulse is only 20 minutes, I'll do that and the 10 minute Ab Attack workout on Saturdays. That'll give me 30 minutes. This will mean Sundays will be a full rest day, which is OK by me. Ab Attack was challenging in spots, but not too bad. I got through it OK only stopping once. Can't remember the move.

Time: 10 minutes; Calories Burned: 77; Avg Heart Rate: 116; Max Heart Rate: 139.

Pulse
This is a "recovery workout". I did it immediately after Ab Attack. It went OK, but I was sweating like crazy when I was done. A few on the moves were the same from Ab Attack, but that was OK. I felt it in my core when I was done. I liked it.

Time: 20 minutes; Calories Burned: 146; Avg Heart Rate: 115; Max Heart Rate: 129.

     THIRD WORKOUT - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Sweat Fest

I did the first two workouts in the late morning. I had some extra birthday cake at my sister's during the day and felt like burning a few calories, so I pulled this one out and did it around 8pm. It's a bonus workout that comes with the Max 30 program, but is really a new Insanity workout. I think Beachbody threw it in there so people using Max 30 would go back and buy the original Insanity if they didn't have it already. From checking on it beforehand I kind of knew what to expect and thought it might be a bit easier than Max 30 because it would have more breaks, plus a longer low intensity warmup. That was the case, but I can't say it was much easier than Max 30. I was OK on the first three circuits, but then I maxed out around the 24 minute mark doing the first set of Pushup Jacks..There were a few of the original Insanity cast members in it, looking a bit older, but it was still pretty cool to see them. One thing I found amusing. After finishing, I laid on the floor and watched the whole workout again, because you can't always see what's going on when you're actually doing it. The move following the Pushup Jacks was Ski Abs, and I was really struggling. It was even worse for both moves on the repeat set, so I was feeling a bit defeated. While watching the video. however, I noticed almost all of the cast members were on their knees and barely doing the moves either. It almost looked like a battlefield. So, I suddenly didn't feel so bad. Overall, I really liked the workout. A lot. I can see myself pulling it out quite a bit down the road when I'm looking to do another quick workout for the day.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 303; Avg Heart Rate: 127; Max Heart Rate: 150.


SUNDAY - APRIL 23, 2017 - Rest


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 188.0 (-1.8 lbs)
Body Fat: 19.9% (-0.6%)

Both are big numbers, Since January 15, I've lost 19.4 lbs and 4.6% Body Fat.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

First of all, I'm feeling great. I'm really enjoying the Max 30 workouts, and I was somewhat encouraged by seeing the cast members in the Sweat Fest workout struggling as much as I was, and most of them are 20 to 30 years younger than I am. It's such a little thing, but it was a bit empowering. If someone had told be a month ago I'd be doing Insanity workouts again and enjoying them, I'd have told them they were insane.

No comments: