Tuesday, April 4, 2017

WEEK OF 04/03/17 - MIXED CARDIO

MONDAY - APRIL 3, 2017 - P90X+ - Kenpo/Cardio Plus

I'm not going to be doing a scheduled program for the next few weeks. Yesterday was our Fantasy Baseball draft and I ate a lot of pizza, a couple chicken wings, some french toast for breakfast. I don't want to lose my momentum totally on my weight loss, so I'm going to be doing some cardio programs a few days this week to hopefully burn a few calories. Today is Kenpo/Cardio Plus, which is one of my favorite cardio routines. I hadn't done it for years until I did it a few times as a second workout during the last round of P90X3. I enjoyed it again.

Time: 41 minutes; Calories Burned: 414; Avg Heart Rate: 124; Max Heart Rate: 148.


TUESDAY - APRIL 4, 2017 - P90X+ - Interval X Plus

Another cardio routine from the P90X+ series. I don't like this one nearly as much as the one I did yesterday, but I do remember it made me sweat and tired me out. I hadn't done it since May of 2013. It went OK. I don't think I went as fast as the last time I'd done it, but I kept up pretty well. There were a few times were I skipped a few reps, bent over with my hands on my knees, but I got right back into it as best as I could. Once I get used to it again, I think I can do a bit better.

Time: 44 minutes; Calories Burned: 436; Avg Heart Rate: 124; Max Heart Rate: 150.


WEDNESDAY - APRIL 5, 2017 - TONY HORTON ONE ON ONE - Cardio Confusion: Mason's Choice

This might be my favorite cardio workout because Tony and Mason appear to be having a such good time with it. It just puts you in a good mood. I did OK, and I enjoyed it. A fun way to burn some calories.

Time: 43 minutes; Calories Burned: 371; Avg Heart Rate: 115; Max Heart Rate: 142.


THURSDAY - APRIL 6, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Cardio Challenge

I wasn't sure what I was going to do today. Originally, I was thinking of doing a free lance upper body circuit routine with some weights and pullups, but then decided I'd give myself some time off from the strength training. When I got home I was thinking of doing one of Tony's One on One Yoga routines or one of his other cardio routines, but none of them appealed to me. I even seriously thought about taking the day off and giving my body a break. I took a bit of a nap, decided I wanted to burn some calories so I could eat something substantial for dinner, so in a fit of "Insanity" I pulled this one out. I'd started this program 2 years ago, but absolutely hated it, so I quit a little over two weeks in, and hadn't done any of it since. There were routines in it I never even got to. It's the only program I've ever quit after starting it. Early on, there was a lot of pounding on my ankles and calve muscles, which is one of the reasons I don't like doing Shaun's workouts, but I got through it OK. I never hit pause, and only stopped for a few seconds a few times to catch my breath. I think my official "Max Out" time was 17 minutes. I surprised myself a bit by how well I did, I might pull these workouts out every once in a while when I'm looking to do a quick, intense cardio routine, but I can't see myself doing 60 days of it, as they bore the hell out of me.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 351; Avg Heart Rate: 133; Max Heart Rate: 160.


FRIDAY - APRIL 7, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Tabata Power

Thought I'd give another Max 30 workout a chance. This one was next in the Max 30 rotation. I looked at my number from when I did it two years ago and saw my calorie burn was a lot lower than the Cardio Challenge. I wasn't sure why. This one is a lot less cardio and more strength. There is a section of all pushups which killed me. I'm not good at doing fast twitch pushups, plyo pushups, moving pushups, and that's what most of that section was. I maxed out during that section, around 9 minutes I think. Other than that, I was OK in keeping up. Guess I have something to work at, but I'm not sure how.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 223; Avg Heart Rate: 114; Max Heart Rate: 154.


SATURDAY - APRIL 8, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Sweat Intervals

I got a good night's sleep and woke up feeling pretty good. I was actually looking forward to trying another Max 30 workout. This one was next on the schedule. I checked out a few You Tube videos of it beforehand just to see what I was in for and most said it was tough. I got it done mid morning. Maxed out at 7:38. Not sure which move I was doing. I took a lot of 5 second breaks, modified a bit, and went slower than they did often, but I got through it. Good workout. I'm drenched in sweat.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned: 321; Avg Heart Rate: 130; Max Heart Rate: 147.


SUNDAY - APRIL 9, 2017 - Rest


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 191.0 (-2.2 lbs)
Body Fat: 20.5% (-0.3%)

Both are nice numbers. I wasn't sure what they'd be since I ate really bad last Sunday, but I recovered nicely.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I'm happy with the weight and body fat numbers. It was all cardio this week, which shows I can burn calories. However, there was very little strength training involved. Just a few pushups in a couple of the routines. I really need both, but I'm giving my muscles a rest for a few weeks. I'm surprised I got through the Max 30 routines. They're certainly not easy, but I didn't humble myself either.

No comments: