Monday, May 14, 2018

WEEK OF 05/14/2018 - P90X - ROUND 11 - WEEK 1

As I mentioned before, May 12, 2008 was my first P90X workout and the start of my journey. Ten years ago. I could barely do any push-ups, no pull-ups, and I almost quit after the second day. But I stuck with it, and here I am. To honor those 10 years, I'm going to do another round of the original P90X. It's always been my soul mate program. It's where I feel comfortable (but not complacent). It'm my homem but I haven't done it since 2014. To be honest. I'm a little nervous going in.

My starting weight is 187.0 lbs, the lowest I've been in years. my Body Fat is 19.6%, also my lowest in years.


MONDAY - MAY 14, 2018 - P90X - Chest and Back

This is always a tough workout for me and the one that gives me shivers when I know it's coming up. I'm better at push-ups than I used to be and only recently a bit better at pull-ups. I did 30 on each set of the Standard, Military, Wide, Decline push-ups and 15 of each of the Diamond and Dive Bombers, for a total of 300 push-ups. I'll admit I didn't go real low on a lot of them, but they weren't either on the video. I started off OK on the pull-ups, but got tired with them quickly, and only did 32 across the six sets. On the weighted back moves, I did 10 reps of each with 40 lb weights. I think in my mind I was pacing myself a bit, but overall I thought it was a good start.

Time: 52 minutes; Calories Burned: 320; Avg Heart Rate: 122; Max Heart Rate: 149.


TUESDAY - MAY 15, 2018 - P90X - Plyometrics

I remember how hard this used to be for me, then it got better after a while. Since doing it last, I've done a few cardio based workout programs such as Insanity Max 30. I would always read from the Insanity snobs how Plyo was a walk in the park compared to Insanity. I almost believed them. Not so. Cardio wise, maybe, but that's not what this workout is about. It's about the legs and explosiveness, and that's where it gets you. By the middle of the fourth set my legs were starting to not co-operate, especially on the front to back twists. In the 5th set I could barely get off the ground on the 180's. It's the first time I've done it in four years, and once again, I'm sure it'll get better the next few times, but it has my respect.

Time:58 minutes; Calories Burned: 464; Avg heart Rate: 127; Max Heart Rate: 152.


WEDNESDAY - MAY 16, 2018 - P90X - Shoulders and Arms

One thing I really wanted to do this round was to push myself, and on this routine that would mean heavier weight. However, that can be a fine line. I started with 40 lbs on the Alternating Shoulder Presses. I got 8 reps in, but my form was starting to go bad around the 6th rep. On the second pass I had a decision to make. Do I try 40's again and risk hurting myself, or do I drop down a bit. After scurrying around a bit when the move started, I decided to drop down to 30's for today, and try and build back up on the future workouts. I had the same dilemma on a couple of other moves, but stuck with the same weight on the second set instead of dropping down, so I'm not sure which is best. I'll have to see how I feel on each individual workout. Overall I think I did OK on this one. What did surprise me was the lack of Side-Tri-Rises I did. I'm usually good for at least 25 on each side, but on the first set I struggled to get 15. I'm sure those will come back. My calve muscles are really sore from yesterday's Plyo.

Time: 59 minutes; Calories Burned: 432; Avg Heart Rate: 129; Max Heart Rate: 155.


THURSDAY - MAY 17, 2018 - P90X - Yoga X

I was looking forward to this one a bit because I know a lot of the vinyasa moves were basic compared to some I'd done lately. The only ones I had trouble with were the regular Half Moons because my legs were burning and my balance was bad. One thing I like about this routine is the second half, which is mostly stretching. I surprised myself a bit by being able to do the Seated Spinal Twists and getting into Plow and having my feet touch the ground. I also got really deep into the Hamstring Stretches. The vinyasa section is a bit long and redundant for me, but I'll deal with it. I'm totally convinced this particular routine got me into good shape. When I get away from it, i tend to suffer s bit.

Time: 92 minutes; Calories Burned: 294; Avg Heart Rate: 111; Max Heart Rate: 136.


FRIDAY - MAY 18, 2018 - P90X - Legs and Back

I never really had a problem with this workout in the past, but that was because I never really did lot of pull-ups. I've been doing much better at them lately, but not today. I think I was literally talking myself out of being able to do them. I'd look at the bar, tell myself I couldn't do a lot, then I'd not do a lot. I'll work on that. As far as the legs go, mine were a bit timid going in. I played golf today on a rather hilly course, and my calve muscles were still sore from Tuesday's Plyo session. I used 25 lb weights on the ones where they used weights. This was usually more than they were using on set, but I was comfortable with them. I did have some balance problems on a lot of the moves, but that's normal. On the Sneaky Lunges I couldn't stay on my toes. Overall, probably my worst workout this week, but not a total failure.

Time: 59 minutes; Calories Burned: 312; Avg Heart Rate: 117; Max Heart Rate: 141.


SATURDAY - MAY 19, 2018 - P90X - Kenpo X

This was always my favorite P90X workout. A perfect workout for a Saturday, after you've beaten the hell of yoir body for the previous five days. I was looking forward to it today. I got through it with no problem and worked up a good sweat.

Time: 58 minutes; Calories Burned: 383; Avg Heart Rate: 119; Max Heart Rate: 162.


SUNDAY - MAY 20, 2018 - P90X - Ab Ripper X

I got all the moves in without pausing, but I was a bit rusty. I did do 40 Mason Twists, but didn't get in the 10 bonus reps. I will in the future.

Time: 16 minutes; Calories Burned: 50; Avg Heart Rate: 103; Max Heart Rate: 128.


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 188.0 (+1.0 lb)
Body Fat: 19.7% (+0.1%)

Hungry as hell this week.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

Usually when I start a round of the original P90X I feel refreshed. I feel like i'm "home" again. I got a bit of that feeling this week, but because I just finished Tony's One On One series, which were P90X-esque, I feel like I've been there a while. However, I did push myself. I've been sore all week, especially in my calve muscles, which still hurt. So, it's a good start.


No comments: