Monday, January 3, 2022

WEEK OF 1/3/2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - WEEK 1

MONDAY - JANUARY 3, 2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - Cardio 24

Today is the official launch date of Tony's new program, The Power of 4, that we've been beta testing for the last 15 months. I actually previewed this workout a few weeks ago, as it was the only one he had up extra early. It's an easy, short, cardio routine. I did the best I could, and actually felt a bit better than I thought I would. I have total numbness in my feet from the diabetes. This affects my balance a lot, and also makes it almost impossible for me to jump straight up. Side to side is OK. Front to back kicks are doable slowly because I have to keep resetting my balance after each kick. I tried going a bit harder on the things I could do to compensate.

Start Time: 7:10 pm; Workout Time: 26 minutes; Calories Burned: 217; Average Heart Rate: 111. 


TUESDAY -  JANUARY 4, 2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - Shoulders and Arms Recharge

Even though I'd done this one countless times in Beta, there was still some learning today. I've lost a lot of strength. It could be because I've lost a lot of muscle mass because I'm not eating enough protein, or it could be because I haven't done any real strength training in a few months. Regardless, 25 lb dumbbells used to be my sweet spot. Today they were really heavy, and I only used the on one move, the Standing Bicep Curls. I did 10 reps of each move, except for Dolphin Pushups, where I did 20. I weighted down a lot from last time, just to survive. I also was losing my balance a lot as I was lifting the weights, usually stumbling forward, and that affected things a lot. If I'd had a stronger foundation, I might have been able to go a bit heavier.  One other thing. This routine is now compacted down from 53 minutes to 40. The routine is the same moves, and the same amount (24) as Beta. Going that fast wears you out in a hurry. However, I did the best I could.

Start Time: 8:30 pm; Workout Time: 40 minutes; Calories Burned: 364; Average Heart Rate: 125.


WEDNESDAY -  JANUARY 5, 2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - Flash Card Plyo

This was tough for me, as I can't move on my feet, or jump straight up like I used to. I had to do a lot of modifying. I don't like Mountain Squats, so instead I got into Bridge and did some kicks. On the first set of Plank Pops (Burpees), I just got into Child Pose because I didn't know what to do. On the second go around I tried to get a few Burpees in, but they were ugly. More stepping back than jumping back. I don't know if I'm permanently limited or if I can learn to get some movement back the more I do it.

Start Time:7:15 pm; Workout Time: 42 minutes; Calories Burned: 263; Average Heart Rate: 103.


THURSDAY - JANUARY 6, 2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - Who's Got Your Back?
I had to plow out my driveway when I got home, so that took a bit out of me. There was no was I was going to do a lot of regular pullups, so I used bands attached to the pullup bar, sat underneath it, and pulled down. It worked OK. On the weighted back moves, I did them sitting down. I was losing my balance when standing up. I think they were just as effective. I wasn't looking forward to this workout to begin with, so I'm happy I got it done, and somewhat pleased with the results.

Start Time: 7:40 pm; Workout Time: 55 minutes; Calories Burned: 391; Average Heart Rate: 114. 


FRIDAY - JANUARY 7, 2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - Attack and Defend

I've always been a fan of the martial arts type programs, and I'm a big fan of Alice's so I liked this one a lot. However, my decrease in balance makes it tougher for me. Today my balance was better than I thought it would be, but I still had to go slowly and limit my range of motion a bit, so as not to throw myself further off balance. I did notice my legs were tiring quickly. I don't know if it is because they were sore, or it it's just the way things are going to be. Overall, though, the routine was a bit encouraging. Hopefully, things, specifically my balance, will improve the more I work at it.

Start Time: 8:40 pm; Workout Time: 49 minutes; Calories Burned: 373; Average Heart Rate: 108. 


SATURDAY - JANUARY 8, 2022 - THE POWER OF 4 - Don't Skip The Yoga

I liked the pace and sequencing, but I couldn't do a lot of the moves because of my lack of balance. However, I tried.

Start Time: 4:05 pm; Workout Time: 67 minutes; Calories Burned: 472; Average Heart Rate: 104.


SUNDAY - JANUARY 9, 2022 - Rest

I had Crunchtown scheduled, but really wasn't feeling well, so I skipped it. Normally, I would have powered through and did it, but I'm feeling like I can't do as much, so I didn't even consider it.


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 141.4 (+3.0 from 2 weeks ago)
Body Fat: 8.9% (+0.5% from 2 weeks ago)

This is no longer about losing weight for me. It's about gaining it back.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

After a few weeks off because of sickness, and very little before that because of planned rest, I was pretty much jumping back into the fire. I'm finding I can't do as much as I used to, some because of my loss of balance, some because I can't jump, as the illnesses make me feel like I have twenty pound weights on my feet. My goal and challenge is to beat it and get back to where I was.

No comments: