Monday, October 14, 2013

LES MILLS PUMP / COMBAT HYBRID - WEEK 13 - Week of 10/14/2013

MONDAY - OCTOBER 14, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Warrior 1: Upper Body Blowout

This is the last week of the Hybrid. It's all Les Mills Combat, the auxiliary workouts. Today's was short but tough. I was only using 15lb weights, but my shoulders got tired real fast. They move quickly from one exercise to the next with no breaks. I kept up with most of the reps.

Time: 25 minutes; Calories Burned: 229; Avg Heart Rate: 117; Max Heart Rate: 152.


TUESDAY - OCTOBER 15, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Shock Plyo: HIIT 2

This is a good little cardio workout. I kept up more this time than I had in the past, missing only a few reps here and there. I was sweating like crazy when done. It's not often I have an average heart rate over 130, but I did today.

Time: 29 minutes; Calories Burned: 338; Avg Heart Rate: 133; Max Heart Rate: 151.


WEDNESDAY - OCTOBER 16, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Core Attack

An 18 minute ab routine. I didn't struggle, but I couldn't wait for it to end.

Time: 18 minutes; Calories Burned: 99 Avg Heart Rate: 95; Max Heart Rate: 119.


THURSDAY - OCTOBER 17, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Inner Warrior: Stretch and Strength

The first two-thirds of this stretch routine is a number of Karate Kata's. I find them very strange and almost creepy, but I'm not judging, as I've not gotten into the Martial Arts. The stretching part was only five or six minutes and was relaxing.

Time: 18 minutes; Calories Burned: 69; Avg Heart Rate: 87; Max Heart Rate: 102.


FRIDAY - OCTOBER 18, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Warrior 2: Lower Body Leanout

I did Ok on this one, but not great. It's just not motivating for me. I still have problems with the Running Man move because of my lack of coordination, and also the repeating roundhouse side kicks because of my lack of balance. In the end though, I did get tired during the workout and did work up a good sweat.

Time: 29 minutes; Calories Burned: 278; Avg Heart Rate: 119; Max Heart Rate: 145.


SATURDAY - OCTOBER 19, 2013 - LES MILLS COMBAT - Power: HIIT 1

This was my last workout of the Hybrid and I wanted to make it good. I increased the weight on my barbell from 15s on each side to 20s. I felt the difference, but still got though it OK. I missed a few of the Plyometric Lunges due to fatigue. The exercise I was really dreading was the Burpee / Pushup / Squat combos. They did a set of 8, then 12, then 16. I wanted to keep up, but couldn't. I did 8, then 10, then 12. I fell a bit short, but I did my best.

Time: 31 minutes; Calories Burned: 330; Avg Heart Rate: 126; Max Heart Rate: 157.


SUNDAY - OCTOBER 20, 2013 - REST


SUNDAY WEIGH IN
Weight: 191.6 (+0.6 lbs)
Body Fat: 20.6% (+0.1%)


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

The workouts were short, but most of them were tough. I'm wondering if it's a precursor to the new P90X3 workouts that are coming out in December.


FINAL THOUGHTS ON THE LES MILLS PUMP / COMBAT HYBRID

The Bad
1) I gained 1.4 lbs and .6% Body Fat. Not good numbers, but those are my fault for not eating good. On most of the workouts there wasn't a big calorie burn. I'm guessing I might have averaged a bit over 300 Calories Burned per workout. With P90X, Insanity, Asylum I was burning closer to 600, depending on the length of the workouts.

2) I was very disappointed in the Combat program in general, especially the main Martial Arts workouts. The main reason is I wasn't familiar with the moves and they were going so fast, I often got frustrated and didn't give full effort. The trainers, Dan and Rach, seem like nice people, but they simply didn't motivate me. Nor did any of the background cast. Maybe that's my fault too. I guess I should have motivated myself more.

3) The Pump cardio workouts were horrible. The Les Mills Pump Combat workout was tolerable, but the other two (Step and Sports Attack) weren't. So much so, that I stopped using them and decided to mix in the Les Mills Combat program after Week 5.

The Good
1) I liked the Pump "Barbell" workouts. Yes, they were repetitive, but the trainers were good and kept me motivated. I also like the fact that you can use as much weight as you want on the workouts to keep yourself growing.

2) I did like a few of the Combat auxiliary workouts (Shock Plyo, Power, Upper Body Burnout, Lower Body Leanout). They were short, but tough.

3) I feel stronger, and I feel my body is starting to shape more. That's a great feeling.

Overall
I'm glad I did it. I think I'll always find a place for the Pump Barbell workouts. I got results and they were fun to do.


NEXT

Focus T-25. I start Monday.












No comments: