Monday, February 22, 2016

THE MASTERS HAMMER AND CHISEL - ROUND 1 - WEEK 5 - WEEK OF 02/22/16

MONDAY - FEBRUARY 22, 2016 - Total Body Chisel

This is one of my favorite Autumn workouts because it's mostly weights. I worked up a good sweat and never took a break.

Time: 35 minutes; Calories Burned: 381; Avg Heart Rate: 128; Max Heart Rate: 207.


TUESDAY - FEBRUARY 23, 2016 - Hammer Power

This workout was on the Hammer and Chisel schedule for 2 days ago (Sunday, although I did it Saturday because I moved my "off" day from Thursday to Sunday). Yesterday was Total Body Chisel, which was similar with upper body weights, then today is Hammer Power again. I'm a bit confused by the scheduling, as I thought it wasn't good to go back to back days on the same body parts. But maybe I'm wrong.  Anyways, I switched up my weights a bit from when I did it Saturday when I was determining "light", "medium", "heavy" based on each particular move. However, I noticed on the video each of the cast members had only 3 sets of weights they used consistently for all the moves, so today I chose 10 lbs light, 20 lbs medium, and 30 lbs heavy, which I believe was what Mike was using, and close to what Nick was using. On Saturday I was more inconsistent, using 15's on some "light" moves and 10's on others. The heaviest I used were 25's. I was hitting pause a lot. Today things went a lot smoother, but I burned a lot less calories than Saturday, and my average heart rate was also a lot lower. It could have been because I was tiring myself out more with the 15 lb "light" weights on Saturday. I remember I was really gassed that day. Today, I only hit pause once, and that was as we were nearing the end of the workout. My 30's are powerblocks, not dumbbells, so they shook a bit when I was thrusting the weights upward. I ended up going down to 25's for the last set of one armed moves because I wasn't sure I could handle the 30's safely, especially with my left arm, which seemed more fatigued for some reason. Despite the appearance of weird scheduling, I made it through the workout fine.

Time: 38 minutes; Calories Burned: 381; Avg Heart rate: 121; Max Heart Rate: 155.


WEDNESDAY - FEBRUARY 24, 2016 - Chisel Balance

As I mentioned the last time I did this workout, it's very. very frustrating for me because I can't balance because of my bad feet, ankles, and knees. My feet just collapse in when trying to balance on one leg. Fact of life. I've been trying to get better for years, but it doesn't happen. However, I was still  determined to give it another go today and do the best I could. The frustration came back quickly, but I pushed forward. By the time I reached the fifth or six exercise all I could hear was Autumn's shrill voice telling me "you can do it", "push harder", "give it all you got", don't quit". Over and over and over again. At two separate times I literally stopped in the middle of the exercise and dropped the weights because I couldn't listen to her anymore.  I was already doing the best I could. I wasn't quitting. I didn't need to be told otherwise. There wasn't three consecutive seconds of silence throughout the entire workout. By the end of the workout I was just pissed off. There comes a point when the motivational "speak" goes overboard and becomes counterproductive, and that happened today.

Time:40 minutes; Calories Burned: 363; Avg Heart Rate: 116; Max Heart Rate: 200.


THURSDAY - FEBRUARY 25, 2016 - Iso Speed Hammer

I caved at work today and had a Whopper Value Meal w4hich happens only a few times a year. I felt really, really sluggish before the workout. It was only 23 minutes, but I had to stop twice. Not good. But I finished it.

Time: 23 minutes; Calories Burned: 183; Avg Heart Rate: 109; Max Heart Rate: 132.


FRIDAY - FEBRUARY 26, 2016 - Chisel Endurance

If I remember right, I hated this one the first time I did it a month ago. Today, it was OK. I got through it without any breaks, although I wasn't able to go a full 60 seconds on some of the moves. I was really drained by the time I got to the last one. I didn't go the full 60 on any of the pullup or pushup sets. It's still not my favorite workout, but I liked it better than last time.

Time: 36 minutes; Calories Burned: 342; Avg Heart Rate: 118; Max Heart Rate: 152.


SATURDAY - FEBRUARY 27, 2016 - Total Body Hammer

This is a tough one that can wear you down. I got through it again with no breaks. I didn't get all the pullups in (doing about half of them), but all the other moves went OK. I'm thinking I might have been able to use heavier weights on a few of the moves, but am not sure if that would have worn me down to where I would have been unsafe. As it was, I was totally exhausted at the end. It's a thin line...

Time: 43 minutes; Calories Burned: 458; Avg Heart Rate: 126; Max Heart Rate: 207.


SUNDAY - FEBRUARY 28, 2016 - 10 Minute Ab Hammer

Not much to say. I did OK. I still don't do the hip bumps on the oblique move. Tough for me to balance that long raising my hips up on one side.

Time: 12 minutes; Calories Burned: 75; Avg Heart Rate: 100; Max Heart Rate: 126.


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 211.2 (+1.2 lbs)
Body Fat: 25.3% (+0.3%)


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I'm going backwards with my nutrition and just don't have the motivation to turn it around. It seems like a downward spiral, and I have nothing to grab onto to pull me out. Getting back to the weight I was at a few years ago seems like an impossible task. I need to find something to motivate me.

No comments: