Sunday, July 2, 2017

INSANITY: MAX 30 - ROUND 1 - WEEK 13 - WEEK OF 06/26/2017

**** My computer was still out of commission for the first part of the week. I couldn't remember my thoughts for each day, so only the stats are listed. ****

This is the final week of the program. I'll be doing the Bonus discs. There are two 15 minute Ab routines (360 Abs and Max Out Abs), a condensed 15 minute Max 30 routine (Max Out 15), and Sweat Fest, which is a 30 minute "classic" Insanity type routine, which I'd sampled a few times a few weeks ago.


MONDAY - JUNE 26, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - 360 Abs and Max Out 15

360 Abs - I didn't find it too difficult. I got through it OK.

Max Out 15 - This wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Because he was condensing things down to 15 minutes I thought he'd kill us, but he didn't. Most of the moves were what I considered to be of the "easier variety". He did finish it off strong though. The last two were tough.

360 Abs - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 106; Avg Heart Rate: 114; Max Heart Rate: 144
Max Out 15 - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 154; Avg Heart Rate: 130; Max Heart Rate: 153


TUESDAY - JUNE 27, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Max Out Abs and Max Out 15

Max Out Abs - Again, I didn't find it too difficult. You did a standing move and then a similar move on the floor. The only real tough one was the speed "Genie Jumps", and they almost seemed out of place. I did have problems with the one move where I was tapping my knee to my hand in side plank because I kept losing my balance.

Max Out 15 - I did OK. It was the second time around and I knew what to expect'

Max Out Abs - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 134; Avg Heart Rate: 122; Max Heart Rate: 148
Max Out 15 - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 168; Avg Heart Rate: 131; Max Heart Rate: 153


WEDNESDAY - JUNE 28, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Sweat Fest

I'd done this routine a few times during the first month as a second workout of the day. It's 30 minutes of Old School Insanity. There's a few tough sequences, especially in the third circuit, but I got through it fine.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned; 276; Avg Heart Rate: 125; Max Heart Rate: 154



THURSDAY - JUNE 29, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - 360 Abs and Max Out 15

360 Abs - I did OK. I like it.

Max Out 15 - I'm still maxing out around 12:30.

360 Abs - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 100; Avg Heart Rate: 108; Max Heart Rate: 151
Max Out 15 - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 149; Avg Heart Rate: 128; Max Heart Rate: 167


FRIDAY - JUNE 30, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Max Out Abs and Max Out 15

Max Out Abs - Same as Tuesday. Maxed Out during the side plank,

Max Out 15 - Final time doing it. Same results each of the four times I did it. Easy through the first 12 minutes. Max Out around 12:30, then struggle with the last two moves. This is a good routine.

Max Out Abs - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 129; Avg Heart Rate: 117; Max Heart Rate: 143
Max Out 15 - Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned; 159; Avg Heart Rate: 133; Max Heart Rate: 148


SATURDAY - JULY 1, 2017 - INSANITY: MAX 30 - Sweat Fest

Last workout of the round. I got up early. Decided to go into the office to catch up on things because I'm way behind. Spent 6 hours there. When I finally got home I was feeling like crap. I had a sore throat and felt like I was coming down with a bug. I struggled with the early part of the workout and kept looking at the timer and wondering how I was going to make it through it, but I did. It wasn't my best effort, but I finished.

Time: 30 minutes; Calories Burned; 279; Avg Heart Rate: 125; Max Heart Rate: 151.


SUNDAY - JULY 2, 2017 - Rest


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 190.2 (+1.8 lbs)
Body Fat: 20.2% (+0.2%)

Ate like crap.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I liked the workouts. Most days were 15 minutes of abs and a 15 minute Max 30 style workout. Both of the ab workouts seemed do-able as I was doing them, but I could feel the tightness in my abs afterwards. I liked both of those workouts for those reasons. I might have liked Max Out Abs a bit better simply because of the standing vs floor concept, but not much more. Both Max Out 15 and Sweat Fest were also enjoyable. Effective, but not beat you over the head hard like the rest of the Max 30 workouts.


THOUGHTS ON THE PROGRAM 

I had originally tried this program about 2 years ago. I had just lost one of my cats, sort of unexpectedly,  and my frame of mind wasn't the best. I'd never been a big fan of Shaun's workouts because they all seem the same, so all that compounded in me really, really hating the program, so I stopped in week three. After finishing P90X3 three months ago I was going to give my body a break and do some various cardio routines. I pulled out one of the Max 30 discs as a challenge, saw I could get through it, pulled out another the next day, saw it wasn't too bad, then did all the discs. I decided to do the eight week program in full, wondering if I'd get bored with it. It turns out I didn't. I even extended it from an eight week program to a thirteen week program because I wasn't done with it. Because my mind frame was different than it was two years ago, my experience was totally different. I liked it. I looked upon it as a challenge each day. I don't recall ever having a day where I absolutely dreaded having to do a workout. The fact that it's only 30 minutes a day helped. I also found myself connecting with some of the cast members. I couldn't always keep up with all of them, especially with some range of motion moves, due to my bad ankles and knees, but for the most part I hung with them. For a 59 year old guy I'm proud of that. I did lose exactly 3 pounds from when I began the program, but that is deceiving. At one point I was actually down 7.6 pounds, but got off my dedicated calorie counts and put some back on again. That was my fault.  As I'm typing this, I'm not sure what I'll be doing next, but do know I'm going to miss this program for a while. I'll come back to it though.

No comments: