Monday, November 22, 2010

ROUND 7 - Week 1

MONDAY - November 22, 2010 - Chest and Back
====================================
Time: 1:02:06
Calories Burned: 621
Avg Heart Rate: 123
Max Heart Rate: 156
Total Pushups: 192
Total Pullups: 24

Except for some minor things here and there, I haven't done any strength training since I ended my last round in late August. It showed. Pushups and Pullups have never been my strength, and this routine wears me out like no other because of that. It's the only workout I actually dread doing. The pushup number is low compared to where I finished last round, but it's liveable considering the layoff. I was hoping to get 200 in, so it was close. However, the pullup number is downright embarrassing. I just had no strength to do them, but I'm confident they'll get better with time.

TUESDAY - November 23, 2010 - Plyometrics
==================================
Time: 58:45
Calories Burned: 622
Avg Heart Rate: 126
Max Heart Rate: 156

A low calorie burn for a Plyo workout for me. I'm extremely sore from yesterday's Chest and Back, so maybe I was holding back a bit because of that, but whatever the reason, I was missing a bit of energy. Not a lot, but a noticeable bit. I felt real good a few hours after yesterday's first strength workout in months, but the soreness is starting to creep in as the hours go by. I think I'm really going to feel it tomorrow, as experience shows there is usually a two day drag on the real soreness.

WEDNESDAY - November 24, 2010 - Shoulders and Arms
==========================================
Time: 1:01:35
Calories Burned: 612
Avg Heart Rate: 123
Max Heart Rate: 153

I thought this was a good workout. I only took two very short breaks. One to adjust my weights in the fourth set, and one in the last set to catch my breath for a few seconds. I decided this round I was going to try to be an "8 to 10" guy, so I was trying heavier weights in places. In most cases things were OK, and in fact I may even try to go heavier next time on some of the exercises. There were a few times I noticed I was lifting more than Tony or Joe Bovino. In other instances going heavier was a mistake, such as trying 30's in the Lying Down Tricep extensions, but at least I've got something to reference for next time.

THURSDAY - November 25, 2010 - Yoga X
================================
Time: 1:37:11
Calories Burned: 735
Avg Heart Rate: 107
Max Heart Rate: 138

Thanksgiving Day. I had a pretty good meal at my parents, including some pumpkin pie and choolate pie, but didn't really overeat. I would have rather watched some football, but I don't skip workouts, so I Yoga X between 6:00 and 7:30. I was still feeling the effects of dinner. I also was still very sore from Monday's pushups and was a bit apprehensive about how the pushups were going to feel during the vinyasas section. They were tough at first, but eventually I loosened up and some of the soreness went away. My balances were horrible. I'm still convincing myself I can't balance, so I don't. I need to get my mind wrapped around the fact that they're possible. During the second half of the workout, I found myself going through the motions a lot. However, when I was done, and checked my calorie burn, I was shocked. 735 is by far the most I've ever burned on Yoga X, and one of my highest burns on any P90X routine. I had noticed a few times during the workout that my heart rate was higher than usual. Maybe it was because of the big dinner, and my body had to work harder. Whatever the reason, I'm happy with the result.

FRIDAY - November 26, 2010 - Legs and Back
==================================
Time: 59:45
Calories Burned: 616
Avg Heart Rate: 125
Max Heart Rate: 158
Total Pullups: 52

No problem with any of the leg exercises. I used 20lb weights on all the weight moves except for the calf raises, where I used 30lbs. I knew going in that the pullups were going to be a problem. I only did 52, where I was doing around 78 at the end of last round. However, I felt stronger with them than I did on Monday's Chest and Back workout, so they'll come around. I wasn't feeling real good before and during the workout, and took a very small break after the first move in the second half, but then finished it out with no more breaks.

SATURDAY - November 26, 2010 - Kenpo X
=================================
Time: 59:04
Calories Burned: 550
Avg Heart Rate: 119
Max Heart Rate: 149

Nothing special about today's workout. On all my workouts this week, I've burned over 600 calories, and I was hoping for the same today, but on looking back I don't think I've ever been over 600 on Kenpo X. I did burn 550 however, which is way above average for this routine, so I'm happy.

SUNDAY - November 27, 2010 - Weigh In and Ab Ripper X
===========================================
Weight: 179.2 Body Fat: 23.7%

An increase of 2.3 lbs and 1% body fat. Where did that come from? I wasn't expecting this. I'm back to the resistance training and less cardio, but my calorie burns were up there. I had a few pieces of candy at work on Tuesday and a few pieces of pie on Thanksgiving, but otherwise I ate pretty good. Something has to be causing this. Oatmeal? Protein Bars? I still feel good though. All I can do is my best.

AB RIPPER X:
Time: 17:56
Calories Burned: 139
Avg Heart Rate: 109
Max Heart Rate: 143

I hadn't done any direct ab routines since August, but I did OK on this one. I did at least 25 reps of each move, some I did 28, and I did 60 Mason Twists. I really felt my abs burning on the Pulse Ups and the Oblique V-Ups. I'll be sore tomorrow.

No comments: