Monday, July 22, 2013

LES MILLS PUMP - WEEK 1 - Week of 7/22/13

MONDAY - JULY 22, 2013 - Pump Challenge

This was my first workout in 5 years without Tony Horton or Shaun T leading the way. My first impressions weren't good. Too many smiley people who didn't look like they were working hard enough to break a sweat. I'd rather watch people struggling like I am. I had to come home and immediately jump into the workout because I had to be somewhere this evening, so I was feeling a bit rushed. It was a short workout, but I was still interrupted twice by things. I turned on the background music too loud so I couldn't hear the trainer's cues during the exercises. During the last set they were holding the weight plates in their hands, but I found out the plates I got from Beachbody with the program didn't have the gripping holes in the same places, so I couldn't hold them properly. It's not a big deal because I can use dumbbells instead, but it was just annoying. All this made the first day feel really disjointed. On top of all that, I only burned 204 calories.  I did look at the schedule and it looks like most of the early workouts are only 20 minutes long, and there are a lot of "Rest" and "Walk" days built in. If I'm only burning 200 calories in a day, 5 days a week, that's simply not going to cut it. For now though, I'm going to give it a chance.

Time: 26 minutes; Calories Burned: 204; Avg Heart Rate: 109; Max Heart Rate: 160.


TUESDAY - JULY 23, 2013 - Step

This was a cardio workout. I worked up a bit more of a sweat than I'd anticipated, but it felt like I was at an 80's aerobics class. Not my cup of tea. I was a bit slow on a few of the moves because I had to watch what they were doing, and I was a little hesitant to be jumping up and down on the step bench because I didn't want to miss it and twist an ankle. I also had a bit of a problem with the step lunges at the end, simply because I have no balance on lunges. Other than that, I was OK.

Time: 31 minutes; Calories Burned: 302; Avg Heart Rate: 120; Max Heart Rate: 141.


WEDNESDAY - JULY 24, 2013 - Pump and Burn

I'm getting a bit nervous here. A 35 minute workout. I barely broke a sweat and only burned 176 calories. It's barely worth my time, and I feel if things don't get tougher in a hurry, I'll lose a lot of what I worked the last five years for. I understand the premise of this program is high reps with light weights. This week I'm using 10's on each side for all the exercises because that's roughly the median of what they recommend, and I'm not familiar with the exercises. I'm going to blame the low calorie burn on that. Next week I'm going to bump up the weight significantly to see what happens. Maybe to 25's on each side.

Time: 35 minutes; Calories Burned: 176; Avg Heart Rate: 94; Max Heart Rate: 116.


THURSDAY - JULY 25, 2013 - Flow

A 20 minute Yoga workout. I loved it. Very relaxing, and it would have been more so if I hadn't had to keep looking up to see what they were doing. Most of the poses I was familiar with, but it was neat to see them get into those poses in different ways than I'd been familiar with. It put a whole new spin on things, and I think actually improved my balance a slight bit.

Time: 20 minutes; Calories Burned: 65; Avg Heart Rate: 83; Max Heart Rate: 98.


FRIDAY - JULY 26, 2013 - Pump and Shred

Finally a workout where I feel worked out. I still only used 10 lb weights on each side for each exercise because I'm still getting used to the moves, but more so because I may be going hang gliding tomorrow and I didn't want to make the long drive being sore as hell. I can see that happening with this workout, and the increased weight will happen next week.

Time: 47 minutes; Calories Burned: 290; Avg Heart Rate: 99; Max Heart Rate: 128.


SATURDAY - JULY 27, 2013 - Sports Attack

Didn't get to go Hang Gliding because of the weather. Felt sluggish all day, and did this in the early evening. I'll admit I didn't give my best. Just wasn't feeling it.

Time:29 minutes; Calories Burned: 216; Avg Heart Rate: 107; Max Heart Rate: 135.


SUNDAY - JULY 28, 2013 - Hard Core Abs and Weigh-In

HARD CORE ABS
This routine was OK but nowhere near the intensity of an Ab Ripper X or Ab Shredder. I got almost all the moves in except a few of the side plank things where I lost my balance a bit.

Time: 15 minutes; Calories Burned: 76; Avg Heart Rate: 92; Max Heart Rate: 119.

WEIGH-IN
I'm going to be using the new scale from here. I think it's more accurate.

Weight: 191.0; Body Fat: 20.3%
A gain of .8 lbs and .3% body fat. I'm not sure where it all came from. I'll just have to watch myself.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

This is the first week in over 5 years where I wasn't doing a Tony Horton or Shaun T workout. My initial impressions weren't good. I'm not used to the new cast and their "smiley energy". I also hardly burned any calories on any of the workouts. As I stated earlier I used very light weights because everything was new. New week I'm going to significantly increase the weight and see what happens.

No comments: