Monday, April 2, 2018

WEEK OF 04/02/2018 - TONY HORTON ONE ON ONE - ROUND 1 - WEEK 9

I'm now into the One On One Volume Three workouts, which were the test workouts for P90X2. I've been through two rounds of X2, but never did most of the One On One's. I remember the ones I did do (Plyocide, Base and Back) were tough, so I'm a bit wary coming into this month.

MONDAY - APRIL 2, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - Chest, Back, and Balls

I've never done this specific workout, but it's almost identical to Upper Body Balance from Volume Two with the pushup moves. There were ten of those pushup moves, all done on balls, and then alternating with ten pullup moves, which weren't in Upper Body Balance. I had to change a few of the pullup moves because I'm using the P90X pullup bar in a door frame and you can't do some of the moves with it. However, the modifications worked out fine. I'm getting a bit better with the pullups. I also put a few pieces of cardboard boxing material between the bar and the door frane which gave it less "give" when I pulled up, and actually made things easier. I did pretty good on the pushup moves, probably because I've done them recently. I still can't do a "Possible" (formerly "Impossible") pushup, but I'll keep working at it. Tony worked at a slow pace, taking a lot of time between moves, so that helped keep me fresh.

Time: 60 minutes; Calories Burned: 246; Avg Heart Rate: 107; Max Heart Rate: 138.


TUESDAY - APRIL 3, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - Plyocide

I knew I'd done this one a few times before, but hadn't realized that last time was in November of 2011. I did OK. I paced myself a bit early on, but still got winded at times. One thing I realized is that I have very little explosive spring in my ankles. I can't bounce up and down off of them as quickly as he does during the video.

Time: 67 minutes; Calories Burned: 377; Avg Heart Rate: 110; Max Heart Rate: 138.


WEDNESDAY - APRIL 4, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - Shoulders and Arms: MC2

Not too bad. The P90X2 version was one of the easiest workouts in that program. This one I liked. 8 moves done 3 times each. Not too many opportunities to lift heavy, but it was effective. On the Bicep Curls I started with 25's, then went to 30's, then 40's, decreasing the reps each time, just to see how it would feel, and it worked out well. I used 15's on the Crazy 8's because I know they're tiring, but I might try more weight next time.

Time: 58 minutes; Calories Burned: 327; Avg Heart Rate: 114; Max Heart Rate: 142.


THURSDAY - APRIL 5, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - Yoga: MC2

I'd never done this one before, so I was curious to see how he'd structure the workout. It's usually vinyasas and poses, then stretches. That's how it was here, too, but there was only 3 minutes of stretches at the end. Except for a few warmup stretches at the beginning, the entire workout was one vinyasa after another. One pose after another. There were times in the last twenty minutes or so, that I became so uninterested that I just sat and watched for a few seconds. I'm sure I might like it the more I do it, but for now, I'm not a fan.

Time: 66 minutes; Calories Burned: 159; Avg Heart Rate: 100; Max Heart Rate: 125.


FRIDAY - APRIL 6, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - Base and Back

Tough workout. I'm getting a bit better at pullups, and felt strong on them at first, but my numbers were down on the second round. On the plyo moves, I started with 30 of the Plyo Frog Squats, then realized I was going to burn myself out doing that many, so I did 20 reps on the rest of them. I've definitely been more worn out at the end of workouts in the past, but this one is right up there.

Time: 51 minutes; Calories Burned: 242; Avg Heart Rate: 109; Max Heart Rate: 140.


SATURDAY - APRIL 7, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - Total Body X

I think this was the last of the One On One's to be filmed, as they were showcasing the set for P90X2. It's a UCML routine (Upper/Cardio/Middle/Lower). Only 4 sets, 16 moves. It's not real tough, but I had to take about a two minute break half way through because I was exhausted for some reason. I did OK on most of the moves, but had a hard time with the 3 Ball Extravaganza, only getting three lame reps in.

Time: 42 minutes; Calories Burned: 211; Avg Heart Rate: 111; Max Heart Rate: 135.


SUNDAY - APRIL 8, 2018 - Tony Horton One On One - ARX2

The test for what was to become Ab Ripper X2. Because there was 20 moves, Tony was wondering if this should end up being a full routine, or whether it should be cut down to a 15 minute routine. It ended up being cut down. At the beginning Tony wasn't sure how many reps of each move he'd be doing. I decided up front I'd do 20 of each and stuck to it. The only one I didn't do 20 was the move with the ball between the legs and behind the back, which Tony even saw was a disaster and quit on it early. Overall it was a good ab workout. Despite the length, tt seemed to go fast.

Time: 45 minutes; Calories Burned: 152; Avg Heart Rate: 101; Max Heart Rate: 134.


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 190.6 (+0.6 lbs)
Body Fat: 20.6% (+0.1%)

I'm not too concerned. A few days ago I got a craving for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, so I bought some jelly, a roll of white bread, and have been eating them the last few days. It'll wear off when the bread is gone.


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

I was thinking Volume Three might be the toughest of the series. As a whole, I think that might be the case, but I got through them OK, which makes me realize I'm in better shape than I give myself credit for.




No comments: