Monday, December 4, 2023

WEEK OF 12/04/2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - WEEK 1

MONDAY - DECEMBER 4, 2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - Power City 

I'm not really a big fan of Scotty Mo, but I was excited a bit to try this one. I wasn't sure how much a difference this would be to a Tony Horton workout. I don't want to say it was wildly different, after all it was filmed in Tony's workout room (same place as Power of 4 and Powersync60), but the structure was definitely different. For the Chest and Back portion, you do four four minute "blocks". In each block, you alternate between a pushup move and a pullup or band pulldown move. I used the band pulldowns. I chose to do 10 pushups, then 10 band pulldowns, I ended up doing roughly 40 pushups and 40 pulldowns in each block. There was time walking back and forth between my pullup bar and the pushup area, but that was OK. Next time I might just do the pushups closer to the pullup bar. By the time I was done with the fourth block, I was feeling it a bit. Then, he has us doing about 15 minutes of cardio. 20 seconds on of a move, then 10 seconds off. This included burpees. I didn't dog it. All in all, I thought it was a good workout. Very little time wasted. 

Start Time: 6:30 pm; Workout Time: 50 minutes; Calories Burned: 368; Avg Heart Rate: 111.


TUESDAY - DECEMBER 5, 2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - MoBata 

This was mostly cardio. I had to modify some of the moves, but overall I did OK. It was tough, but not as tough as I had expected. 

Start Time: 8:05 pm; Workout Time: 35 minutes; Calories Burned: 219; Avg Heart Rate: 106.


WEDNESDAY - DECEMBER 6, 2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - Uptown

A little disappointed. Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps. Only three moves of each, and only 45 seconds per moves, I was expecting more. Then we did another 15 minutes of his MoBata cardio. I understand the cardio inclusion a bit, but if I'm going to do an upper body routine, I'd like there to be a little more meat to it. As it was, it was a lot of quick reps with light weights. More endurance than bulk, I used 15 lb weights on the first two rounds, and 20's on the third round. I'm pretty sure I could have handled another three moves of each, whether they were different moves, or even repeats. Regardless, I'm almost certain I'm going to feel it in the next few days.

Start Time: 7:10 pm; Workout Time: 34 minutes; Calories Burned: 235; Avg Heart Rate: 114.


THURSDAY - DECEMBER 7, 2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - Moga

Certainly not what I was expecting. This was basically a stretch routine. It seemed a bit strange at first, doing stretches for two minutes at a time, but it seemed to work. I think I ended up liking it.

Start Time: 6:50 pm; Workout Time: 45 minutes; Calories Burned: 117; Avg Heart Rate: 87.


FRIDAY - DECEMBER 8, 2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - Downtown

Didn't like it, for my own reasons. There were too many moves I physically couldn't do, such as balancing on one leg, or hopping up and down on one leg. There is no way I'm going to put my hands behind me head, get down onto my knees, then get back up again without touching the floor. It took me until the third go around to even consider some modifications, such as holding onto a chair. I'll figure something out as a far as modifications, or even replacing a move here and there, so this workout doesn't become a total waste. I want to get it to the point where it becomes an asset.

Start Time: 7:55 pm; Workout Time: 41 minutes; Calories Burned: 231; Avg Heart Rate: 100.


SATURDAY - DECEMBER 9, 2023 - MOTOWN EXPRESS - Midtown

Again, a few moves that were tough for me. Coming up from being on my back to a crunch, or some form of one, puts an awful lot of pressure and strain on my lower back. It's doing more harm than good. Either I get better at it, or I modify, or replace the move.

Start Time: 6:10 pm; Workout Time: 36 minutes; Calories Burned: 223; Avg Heart Rate: 103.

SUNDAY - DECEMBER 10, 2023 - Rest


SUNDAY WEIGH IN

Weight: 154.2 (no change)
Body Fat: 12.4% (no change)


THOUGHTS FOR THE WEEK

My first impressions of this program are mixed. It's different than most. However, on the strength (hypertrophy) days there is not enough time spent on the strength exercises. He speeds through them, then has you do 15 minutes of his Mobata stuff. I can't see getting anything out of this program with that kind of setup. I'll be doing it for three more weeks, so maybe I can figure something out to make it worth my while.

No comments: